Why am I receiving Mailing errors on emails I never sent?

• Marvin

Someone is spoofing your email address when they spend SPAM.  This is nothing new, and it is not a complex process.

I guess it catches a lot of non-technical people off guard.  When I was in school, they taught us how to send a fake email in class, so we would understand how it works.  Years ago there were hundreds of videos on YouTube describing how to do it on a Linux box by using the command line, or a shell script.

Mail gateways like Verizon are not very secure, so it is pretty easy to exploit them and send fake emails using a Telnet session from the command line. 

• JJ

A spammer is using your email address as the Reply To address. You'll probably also get some "unsubscribe" requests from clueless spam recipients. My advice is, DON'T respond to the unsubscribes, trying to explain you didn't do it. Don't respond to any of the emails generated by this, unless you know the person. Just lay low and hopefully it will pass.

In another reply, Sharon's link is also useful. It recommends that you scan for a virus, which is a good idea. However, it also recommends that you report the spam, which is something I would not do. But that's up to you - reporting spam to your ISP is not harmful.

• Sharon

If you are receiving mailer daemon spam: https://www.lifewire.com/mailer-daemon-spam-413559...