Questions on Being a Christian?

As a Christian, I have some confusion to what it takes to be a good Christian. When I first started looking into my faith journey,  A girl in my school ran a bible study and she echos many of the common things I have heard before.  She said to the newcomers in the class,  "Jesus paid the price on the cross for you to get saved.  He offered salvation to those who believe in him, So all you have to do is believe in him and that he saved you and you will be saved."

One thing that gets to me is I have also heard from my pastor along with others is that you have to monitor your behavior.  No premarital sex, no watching non Christian movies, do not do yoga, or martial arts.  No cohabitation before marriage.  etc.  

What confuses me is that why do they tell the newcomers that its not hard to get salvation because he already paid the price but then you have to do not/do these others things to get right with god.  

• Paul

Accepting salvation is the means of being saved. Salvation is a free gift of God that cannot be earned or merited. However, if you do truly accept Jesus into your life, and His gift of salvation, you become transformed by Him. You turn away from evil and toward goodness. And these changes are apparent to those who knew you earlier. Turning away from sin doesn't accomplish salvation, it results from salvation. Anyone who claims to be saved, but whose life is not becoming more godly, is deceiving themselves.

Jesus paid the price for our sins if you repent of your sins. Then you are suppose to learn from your mistakes and try not to sin anymore. If you are a Christian, then you

try to live a righteous life following the teachings of Christ.

John 8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

They don't do/not do those things to "get right". They do those things to stay righteous and in a loving, dynamic Spiritual relationship with the living God. It's up to the individual, not the religious beliefs of others. 

First , why do you have questions if you have a pastor, and no, profession without actions does NOT guarantee salvation

Don't see it as a set of rules to be followed.

We should see God as our Father and want our life to be led by Him, we should learn Bible, see how God wants us to be.

Salvation is grace that is given to us through faith in Jesus.

We should be able to accept wholeheartedly that Jesus has paid the price for our sins.

You shouldn't worry about following rules, but want to be guided by God.

Read Bible.

Pray.

Have a fellowship in a Church.

Attend prayer meetings, watch Christian programs.

28Then they inquired, “What must we do to perform the works of God?” 29Jesus replied, “The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent.”

John 6:28

Well...if you haven't figured it out for yourself I'll tell you....they want to control you....your thinking and your behaviour...religions were invented for that very purpose...primitive humans lived in tribes that were easily controlled by the witchdoctor..when tribes grew into nations and could no longer be controlled by a person, they invented organised religions and put an invisible supernatural god in charge of running the show

• Tess must have been in the same 'Bible class' along with his other thumb uppers who believe the LIE that "all you have to do is believe in him and you will be saved."

That "girl in your school who ran a bible study" is on her way to HELL just like anyone else who believes that LIE.

Jesus said "You must be born again of the spirit" (John 3:5-7) and people need to figure out what He meant or you will (((NEVER))) enter into the Kingdom of heaven  a "DEAD spirit" (Romans 5:12-14; I Corinthians 15:21-22) who have (((NOT))) been "QUICKENED" back to life" (Ephesians 2:1), just "believing in Him" when you don't even know which "Him" to believe in (I Corinthians 8:5).

"GOD HATES YOU" (Proverbs 6:16-19) for (((NOT))) "believing in Him" (Romans 10:14-15)!

Source(s): THUS SAITH THE LORD! "REPENT" FROM YOUR LYING CATHOLIC DOCTRINE! CATHOLIC DOCTRINE! LET MY PEOPLE GO!
  • ?

You can do nothing to earn salvation, but because of what Christ has done, you don't have to. "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved."

That doesn't mean that you can just do whatever you want. If you truly love the Lord, then you would desire to stop sinning and live righteously.

What you have mentioned are theological talking points.  An open Bible will solve your problem.  Start with Isaiah 53, then 1 Cor. 15:1-4, then the Book of James, then the Parables.  With diligent study, the terms of pardon become clear, John 8:24, Luke 13:3, Mt. 10:32, Acts 2:38, Romans 6:1-5, Rev. 2:10.

• yesmar

Yeah, part of the problem with modern Christianity is that it's filled with pious sounding platitudes and churchy sounding sayings, that don't really transmit any information. I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice, neighbor.

Source(s): Jesus follower