Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can doctors make you take medication for paranoid schizophrenia? ?

Is it a patient's right to refuse? UK?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Dejair
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

They don't prescribe the better : the love for oneself is a complete romance; fill up your mind with harmonies !

• 1 month ago

You legally have the right to refuse medication so long as you are not under a section of the mental health act.

Unfortunately, doctors look at non-compliance of medication badly as you are under their duty of care. So if something was to happen whether police are called, attempted suicide etc. They may be investigated and questions raised to their assessment and decisions of you as they hold some responsibility for you.

That's because it's been proven that patients who take anti-psychotic medication are more likely to be stable and things not happen.

So doctors tend to find it better to give everyone who has the illness medication.

One way they can get around your refusal is by sectioning you under the mental health act.

While you are sectioned, (an formal patient) you legally lack the mental capacity to make decisions for yourself when it comes to your treatment. They can listen to what you have to say about your medication but because they have full authority over your treatment and "care" while in hospital, they do not have to listen to it and can forcibly administer it against your will.

If you admit yourself voluntarily, (an in-formal patient) you will still have rights about your treatment. If you are an in-formal patient and wish to discharge yourself, a nurse can give you a section 5, where in 24/48 hours you will be seen by a doctor and then the doctor can either let you go or section you under different terms for longer. (A section 2 or 3)

Another factor is predictability and how you act and behave when both well and unwell. Taking your past notes into consideration.

The idea is to take you out of society, like a prison.

Mind https://www.mind.org.uk has great information on it. I don't feel like typing an essay. But word of advice; Playing with doctors is like playing with fire. You might feel like you need treatment but all they will do is take you out of society, lock you up, pump you with meds and wait until it subsides. Unfortunately there is no cure. So be careful what you say to them as it can and may be used to against you. Get on their good side and work out ways they can actually help you.

If you are going to not take your medication, do it on the sly and make sure they don't find out. Because if and when they do, they'll use it against you.

If you are admitted, make sure that you have someone on the outside who can speak to the doctor on your behalf and who is willing to be partly involved with your care, because if you have no one, they can do what they like and although it's never happened to me, get 3 big security guards to force you down to the ground, pull down your underwear and inject you in the butt-cheek for the most trivial of reasons (Like falling asleep on the couch) and then make up lies as to why they had to do it. Like you started shouting at staff, etc.

(Some wards can be nice and are better than others)

An acute psychiatric ward is not a nice place to be though. More akin to a community circus.

• 1 month ago

I would imagine it's completely up to the patient to take the med or not, except if a person is institutionalized, then i think it's mandatory.  You'd have to research that.  Take care

• 1 month ago

I cannot speak for the United Kingdom, but here in America you can be certified and committed to an institution and forced to take the legally demanded medication if your condition makes you a threat to yourself or someone else. 

Example:  We had a man named John Hinckley Jr. who shot President Reagan. 

Mr. Hinckley had schizophrenia and his parents were told to have him institutionalized for his own safety.  They refused.  Instead they bought him a gun and a plane ticket to Washington, DC where he shot the president.

Mr. Hinckley is out and has been released now.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

There are some circumstances in which mental health patients can be forcibly medicated, when it comes down to the safety of themselves and those around them AND there has been a court-order. I don't know how often that happens in the UK, but in the US it's rare, there's no law against being schizophrenic and unmedicated and it takes a lot for a court to order that a person be medicated against their will. I'm talking multiple run ins with law enforcement, dangerous behaviors, hospitalizations, etc. You have to prove the person is unable to care for themselves and presents a danger. 

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, they can do so.  If it is in your interests they can have you committed, and given the treatment you need.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.