rent deposit?

can you get you deposit back the same day you move out of the house/flat your staying in if everything is in order and nothing is broken or damaged? paid cash.

Update:

living in the UK

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Not likely.  In the U.S., the law is 3 to 45 days after move out, depending on the state and about one month is most common.  You will have to learn the laws in the county where you live to find out how many days they have to return your deposit.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's not likely. In my state, they have 14 days to return your deposit.

• 6 months ago

Is it possible?  Yes.  Is it legally required?  No.  As a result it doesn't typically happen.  And especially not offered in cash.

• 6 months ago

Yes you 'can'.  It is unlikely you would.  A quick search tells me in the UK the landlord has 10 days.  If you have a good relationship with your landlord, then you can talk to them before and explain that you'd like to do a walk through and have them pay you the deposit on the spot if possible.  No harm in asking, but give a heads up so that if they're okay with it they have the money or checkbook on them.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, the landlord needs to go through the place and really look things over.

• 6 months ago

Yes good luck with that I've never heard of a landlords that gives up your deposit cheerfully

• Kini
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Not in the U.S. Landlord has 21 to 45 days to mail deposit depending on your state AND he can deduct for repairs with a letter of explanation.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.