Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 6 months ago

Can a guy get custody of his girlfriend ?

My girlfriend is a girl who went through too many unfair things and no one helped her, the only life she knew was a life of not human treatment. We fled cause they wanted her to suffer even more in vain. Now she is at my place having nightmares that she will go back to her old life. She doesn't want to go back to school in the fall, a place where she endured daily attacks. She is 17 and I am 20 and her family failed to help her. I've been taking care of her for the last days. When she has the nightmares I hold her tight and tell her it's over. She begs me not to let them take her away from me and makes me promise that she won't go to school anymore. Her parents called me and told me that it's time she comes home. I am scared to let her go, knowing she will lose her faith in me and blame me for forsaking her. What do I do?

talk to her parents to put away returning home and hold her for a while until she become 18,

then everything will be in your hands

• ?

When will she be 18? It might not be worth it to try to gain custody of an unemancipated minor that’s going to a legal adult soon. 

First of all, I disagree with the answers saying it’s wrong or illegal for a 20 year old to date a 17 year old. That’s only a 3 year age gap, and in most places, the age of consent is 16, so there’s most likely nothing illegal about it. She’s 17 - it’s not like you’re dating a 14 year old.

The general rule to calculate the youngest that it’s appropriate for someone to date is “half your age plus 7”, and half of 20 (10) plus 7 (10 + 7) would be 17, so that’s an appropriate age gap. 

To all of the people saying it’s wrong: Would you think it was wrong for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old? No? Then why is a one year difference so drastic in your eyes? Especially when the age of consent is actually 16 in most states (as well as in Canada and the UK), not 18.

However, in a word, the answer to your question would be no - especially if she’s not being abused or neglected, there’s no way you could get legal custody of her. Depending on the laws in your state, she might be able to drop out of school and get a GED, and you might even be able to marry her, but that would require her parents’ consent. Once she turns 18, she’s free to leave school and leave her parents’ house pretty much everywhere, but until then, you might have no choice but to release her to her parents. You can look up the individual laws of your state - in some cases, refusing to release a minor to their parents can even be charged as kidnapping, so you need to be careful. The age of consent is also 18 in a few states, in which case it would be illegal for you two to even date (although some states also have close-in-age exceptions that typically make it legal if the age gap between the adult and the minor is less than 4 years).

When she’s 18, there will be no more legal complications. Until then, best of luck!

he can try to do that

She can stay with you if she likes... i said so....

Maybe you should keep living together ***AS FRIENDS/ROOMATES*** then after the age gap gets filled, go back to dating, because she is not of age, and you could go to jail.

• Edna

No --a 20-year-old guy can NOT get custody of his 17-year-old girl friend.

If her parents want her to come home, she HAS to come home to them She's only 17 and she's a minor. She has no choice in the matter.

YOU are an adult. If you try to prevent her from going home to her parents, you could be charged. with kidnapping.  

Maybe you can just  marry her.  Call the Legal Aid Society to get free advice. 

Doubtful, but you could get arrested fro contributing to the delinquency of a minor and statutory rape..

No, not that I know of anyway. 

Either she waits it out til she's eighteen, stays with another family member, or at worst get sent to a group home if her parents have also mistreated her. 

Also; you're twenty years old, why the hell are you dating a seventeen year old?