Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Do you have to be a vet to put dogs doen?

I want to start a company where people can come and get their dogs put down. Do I have to be a vet to perform this?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

I pray to God this never happens.  Yes, you would need to be a Vet.

• 2 months ago

You don't have to be a vet yourself but you must employ one, likewise you can start a private medical hospital for humans with no qualifications, yet you must employ someone who is qualified if you are not. A qualified vet expects more than minimum wage though but if you have enough money then there is nothing stopping you. Like with most businesses if you have enough money to get over the first few years of being without a reputation then it's not hard.

• 2 months ago

People do put their own dogs down (farmers, huntsmen) but if you intend to euth. dogs belonging to others, you need to be a Licensed Vet to be doing this legally.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

You need to be a licensed Vet Tech (minimally) and know how to spell "down."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

In some State if you business is euthanizing pets you must have an individual license as a Vet or Vet Tech as well as a State license to euthanize.

• Girl
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You do have to be a certified veterinary practitioner with lots of expertise in order to do that. 

• 2 months ago

The drugs to euthanize are an overdose of anasthesia drugs.

You have to be a vet to even obtain those drugs...   Only a vet can prescribe, dose and administer them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.