I have been hearing foot steps in my hallway?

Sometimes at late at night I hear creaks on the wooden floor sounding like foot steps. Now at first I found it strange, but then my theory was that the floor records my steps because the temperature. Now some times my family hears light little running as if a child was running late at night and sometimes I could hear it as well. This usually happens when everyone is sleeping and some of us heard it.  I am not sure what it is, but could be just something. 

Favorite Answer

Your home is settling down. When you have been living in your house, floorboards get stood on and moved into positions they don't want to be in. Boards are pressing against each other sideways and eventually, they jump back into place making a noise as they do so. Same with doors. Depending on how they were hung, some don't like to be in certain positions and can make noises as they move into a better position. This happens at any time but is more noticeable at night when the temperature drops. Take an empty crisp packet and scrunch it up. You will hear crackles as it tries to regain its shape. after a minute, you may think the crackles have stopped. They haven't, even after a half-hour, you may still hear the odd crackle. Same with your floorboards. Because they are pressed sideways against each other, they free themselves at different times. If you get up one morning and find all your dining chairs stacked on the table, you should now no longer worry about your floorboards.

• Tom

Settling of the house, WIND, and changes in temperature are the cause of nearly ALL "footstep" phenomena.  All these things cause the materials of the house, wood especially, to bend and move past each other.   Problem is, the wood does NOT slide past another board smoothly.   There is FRICTION, and what really happens is a stress will build up between adjacent boards and then Pop! , lets go and moves a small increment .and begins to cause more stress until it releases again.-----It sounds like FOOTSTEPS

Its like EARTHQUAKES in that  of a fault---cracks in the Earth's Crust work the same way stresses build up as the rocks try to slide past each other---then suddenly let go.

• Wood creaks as it shrinks and expands with temperature and moisture changes. As for the little light running that's probably some sort of critter in your ceiling, even mice and rats can sound quite loud in the quietness of night. 

• Dr. NG

We know from movies ghosts like to start off small and escalate. A light left on, open doors and creaking woodwork turns to the pulling off blankets and impossibly complex furniture creations. Eventually the spooks get real, causing the occupants to run hysterically into the night. If they survive the gruesome manifestation that is.

Luckily in real life, things like that never happen. Do some investigating and figure out what is really going on.

You hear the floor creaking, not footsteps. Don't try to extrapolate beyond the evidence. "Just the facts, mamm", as a tv cop once said. 

I dunno. 

I hear it too. But I'm 99% positive it's the house.

Your loved ones could be walking around in their rooms.

It could be that your place is haunted. I've had a friend who's place was haunted and they ended up moving out 7 months later.