Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Is it really possible to be in love and happy forever?

It seems impossible to me. I know there are couples who have been married 50+ years but what if they're not happy? Idk I want true love and marriage but it horrified me 

Update:

Horrifies*

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"In love" has a couple of definitions and if you're asking if you'll still get the butterflies of new love at 50+ years in, probably not. But if you choose a partner wisely you'll hold affection, respect and yes, even passion for them for life. The couples that last for decades are those who dug deeper in the dating process to make sure they shared more than just a chemical reaction to one another. Shared outlooks and life goals are imperative. Having someone who doesn't drive you crazy in a domestic sense matters too. So if you take your time and talk a lot about the future with a prospective partner you're more likely to be one of those who make it to their golden anniversary. 

• Dick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Love is fleeting, unreliable, and unpredictable. Nothing is forever. Trust, loyalty, sexual compatibility, and respect, are all more important than "love".

Lv 7
    2 months ago

"Forever" is a very long time, and extends beyond death...so the answer to your question is no. Once people die, they are no longer happy, sad, or anything else. They are just dead.

Can someone be in love and happy in their marriage for the rest of their life? Sure. That doesn't mean they are happy every moment of every day, but they are overall happy to be married to the person they are married to.

Sure, some couples are married and are not happy together. That happens too. There are no guarantees. Some stay married for practical reasons, and just because they aren't happy (in their marriage) doesn't mean they are unhappy people. It varies.

All love is true, else it isn't really love. If marriage 'horrifies' you, then you are either still quite young and not very mature, or you are an adult and should consider therapy for your extreme reaction to an institution that is common around the world, but is not a prison sentence. Divorce exists for a reason. 

• 2 months ago

Its not possible for ANY human being to be happy 100% of the time. People are fallible, and mistakes are made. That is just reality. So, expecting a marriage or any other relationship to be 100% blissful ALL the time is to be heading for disappointment. 

A marriage is two imperfect people coming together with the hope of making each other's life better, to be better for being together. Not perfect but good anyway.

We are married 36 years and we have not always been blissfully happy but I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

In the beginning of a relationship... there is a spark of a new love. Over the years the spark fades away. They still love each other but it becomes a different kind of love. A less excitable love. In rare cases, I have heard of couples divorcing and then getting back together years later.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

We recently celebrated our 44th anniversary. We're genuinely happy together. Best friends--with benefits!

I think you have to choose your partner wisely, with a long-term goal of being together until one of you drops dead. How good they look, how the sex is, who's got a bunch of money, or who's cool are barely factors when you're choosing someone for the long haul.

• 2 months ago

Over time there may be love, but that's not necessarily happiness. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.