Anonymous

Whether if speaking from personal experience or not, why do you think some people speak their family's language in private but not in public?

In public with another speaker of the language, whether if someone else from the community or who's learned enough to communicate ..

Please indicate what language(s) this pertains to and where it happened.

No language is nonsense Pit .. thanks for your reply though.

Because people in the US run around screaming "speak English".

I literal heard some random guy tell my Canadian friend "this is America, we speak English" once when she was speaking french to some relatives in NYC.

We're like dude, Canadian is part of North America

I used to live in a foreign country with my family for 5 years, so I used to speak my family's language only with my family members or with myself (when I felt like talking to myself...in private of course), because no one else would understand it.

UPDATE:

I preferred not to speak in my family's language in public even with those who spoke it, because it would make me quite uncomfortable switching into different languages at the same time. Not because it was difficult, but because I felt like it's better not to be viewed as an alien who speaks nonsense with his friends, while I spoke the country's official language fluently.

I'm not sure if that makes sense.