Why do athiests strawman the bible by calling it fiction?

Athiests should really stop saying the bible is fiction. The first fiction book wasn't written until 1170. I can't take yalls arguments seriously anymore.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

A 600 year old man builds a 450 foot ark. A virgin bears a child. A man lives in a whale. A man walks on water. A man comes back to life after being dead for 3 days. A serpent speaks. Sounds like something that would come out of a Harry Potter book.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Are you telling me you think all the Greek stories were historical reality?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

What? Are you seriously telling me that every story told before 1170 (Gilgamesh, Hercules, Thor, Ra, Amaterasu, etc) is true because they predate the first fiction book?

Because that's bullshit.

• 6 months ago

Who cares what atheists say?  It doesn't in any way affect what we *know*.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

A book that describes events that have no historical evidence, that refers to talking snakes and talking bushes is fiction.

"The first fiction book wasn't written until 1170" - fiction existed in ancient Greece, ancient Rome, ancient China.  All long before 1170.

If you want to believe the Bible is fact, you go right ahead.  Its clear facts really don't matter to you.

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You exposed your ignorance to everyone.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The Bible isn’t just fictitious,

it is a 1200-page piece of crap.

The “christ” that lives between its covers

has left the future empty for 2,000 years, and

more than sixty of its own 33-year-long lifetimes. 

The christ's undeniable failure to return now has its 

own place in Human history.  

The Bible is proof that acceptance does not confirm anything.

Just like Jesus, the Bible = Nothing … nothing, at all.

• Wundt
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

First, you clearly don't understand what a Strawman argument is.  You might want to look up the definition before you post another questions like this.  Second, like it or not, the Bible IS MYTHOLOGY, much the same way that the Iliad and the Odyssey are mythology.  There may be some historical references in the book (just as there may have been a siege of Troy) but it is also filled with stories of gods, demons, talking animals, etc. 

• 6 months ago

So are you saying all of the older pagan stories are facts then? That makes zero sense, the Gilgamesh Epic tells a completely different story regarding the flood and was written before any biblical story. It is a myth. Fictional literature is as old as literature itself.

• ?
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Can you prove it isn't fiction? Nope. Didn't think so. I'm so tired of religious folk trying to peddle BS all the time. It's so boring and makes them look so gullible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.