Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 months ago

Why did Tolkien ignore sex in his stories?

He made up entire cultures and languages and histories but kind of ignored sexuality 

15 Answers

Relevance
  • chorle
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

People in middle earth had sex but they closed the door. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Tolkien was a sex repulsed asexual. 

• Ralph
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Because most people who have common sense know that when someone who begat someone else who begat someone else, etc. means that they reproduced (aka had sex). He wrote a lot about couples and their relationships but why take it to the next level and make it a fifty shades of grey?

• F
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Well there is some goblin.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

The late Scottish author Jane Duncan, when asked why there was no mention of sex in her series of semi-autobiographical novels, told the interviewer that "I assumed a modicum of intelligence in my readers so that when I wrote that two people were married or were lovers, I expected the reader to know what this implied.

"

• 4 months ago

It wasn't part of his stories. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

because Tolkien was an honourable man and not a filthy minded cretin.

• Expat
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

He wrote the books as children’s stories.

• Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I've read thousands of novels and many of them have barely mentioned sex at all. Quite a few of them have ignored it altogether. Authors normally don't bother incorporating scenes of characters going to the toilet or bringing in the post or going grocery shopping either, though people do those things all the time in real life. If you want to read about sex, look elsewhere. Tolkien has been dead for nearly 50 years. Asking me why he didn't inject sex into his novels is pretty pointless. 

• Bill
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

the stories are so enthralling that there is no need to use sex to sell them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.