Billy asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is it wrong to buy mice for my cat to hunt and kill?

My cat has to stay indoors because we live next to a busy street, and I feel bad that he doesn't get to act on his primal urges to stalk and hunt things. I'm thinking about buying some mice and setting up an arena in our basement for him to hunt. I know it sounds cruel, and I don't enjoy killing mice, but I feel like he deserves to enjoy the things that come natural to him. He gets tired of toys pretty fast, but watches the critters outside incessantly. What does everyone think?

Thats a good idea. Cats are natural hunters, of course they'll need to do some hunting.

wow, this is exactly what i was thinking. only my cat does go outside in my garden and for a walk on a leash, i still think he misses excitement. i was having the same dilemma as u do  - is it fair to mice. and then when he does not kill it u will have one more pet to take care of. house  cat which is fed cat food will not eat the mice, he will just play with it and might not even choke it to death. then he will get bored with it, so u will have an injured animal on your hands. this is what i was thinking

Yes, as this is just animal cruelty.

Yes, it may escape and you now have a pest problem.  The mice can leave droppings, and chew up your belongings. I used to rear mice to feed my pet snakes, and sometimes one of them may escape and it then becomes a pest. One time my family cat caught one in the backyard and played with it for hours. He had fun, I have one fewer pest. 

• Expat

Buy toys; the cat will get all the fun and excitement of hunting without needing to kill other animals unnecessarily. 

• A.J.

Two things. One is that it is unnecessary killing. Although mice breed quickly and are killed in nature by cats, those mice have an ability for their natural hiding defenses and can be considered pests. I am not strong on this one, because I know frozen and fresh mice are fed to certain snakes that are called pets. I lean negative. The second thing is that my own sister has cats (and dogs and outside living semi-wild "pets") and her cats do find and kill a few mice in the home. They have a habit of bringing my sister the mouse heads, or just leaving chewed up mouse parts to clean up. On this, it is your call. Be aware cats may not fully eat a mouse, and YOU have to clean up dead mouse components and disinfect the area. I find the matter gross, and making you aware of this extra job you may not account for.

I wouldn't do it. I have an indoor cat; my second one. She gets bored sometimes. It's a lot better to her than fending for herself. So, I lean towards it being wrong, but not terrible, and you need to know it entails entrails. 

• Isabel

Yeah that’s deff wrong.  Don’t.  Buy a remote control prey toy, or a feather wand.