Dove asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can alcoholism run in families?

I've been told my mom it runs on both sides. But alcoholism is more common than alot of drugs.

Update:

Plus, why is alcohol ok compared to any other drugs?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • LAN
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Weak people are very likely to produce more weak people.   No surprise at all.

• 1 month ago

It can.  Just like diarrhea, it runs in your jeans, lol.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

of course it can

• 1 month ago

I think that is bad also,as life that is cheap!We are to be losers of ever,of us,when I am sad,or others are too,sadist or mental,ready to die by people,out of their troubles,and am in the middle of threats of lots of men and women like else,what can be an alcohol question?!!None!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It appears that alcoholism runs in family because of genetics and family influences.  Also, if you lack coping skills.  The key is abstinence.

Alcohol is never "okay" especially if it runs in the family.

• WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

alcohol consumption  can be a LEARNED behavior

, and can become a COPING Mechanism for stress

and may become a HABITUAL cycle 

" society '  and  cultural  traditions  has  deemed " alcohol " as acceptable

for example even used in RELIGIOUS RITUAL , social events   acceptable with FOOD and eateries in SONGS  of old tradition  rock country  Holiday  to seasonal such as " Here we come a WASSAILING  or Baby its cold outside   a CAR  or BUS  Driving song  promoted to  KIDS to sing about Drinking BEER   99 Bottles of Beer on the wall a REVERSE counting song  origin mid 20th century   promoted at Kids CAMPS   or long travel  family trips

• 1 month ago

Yes, there can be a genetic link.  Why is alcohol ok compared to any other drugs?  Because it's more socially acceptable and legal at a certain age.  That being said, alcohol is a drug because it's a mind altering substance, but that doesn't mean that becoming alcohol dependent is any different than becoming dependent on any other drug.  Addiction is addiction no matter how you look at it, and even if a person is in "recovery" they are still an addict and always will be considered that.  It's just that they are not actively "using."  They are a recovering addict.

• 1 month ago

if you're used to seeing alcoholics around then you'll be more likely to binge drink

• 1 month ago

They say some people are more predisposed to developing a drinking problem than others.  Because of family history.  You can research it on Google

• 1 month ago

Yes, a propensity for alcoholism is genetic.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.