Bluetooth on computer running Windows 7.?

My grandson recently gave me a Astrum ST140 speaker  that is supposed to connect to my computer using Bluetooth . I have plugged the charging cable into a USB port on my computer to charge the battery . But I cannot get any sound from the speaker . I have been to Start → Devices and printers-  on my computer . This lists other wireless applications such as keyboard , mouse , printer etc.These do not use Bluetooth  But not the speaker

I really have no idea what Bluetooth actually means - do I have to load some software into my computer to make it recognise this Bluetooth application  If so how?

Help much appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Your computer must have a Bluetooth adapter installed in order to be able to use BT devices. Most typical home desktops of the W7 era didn't usually come with Bluetooth built-in. If yours didn't, you would need to buy a relatively inexpensive USB Bluetooth adapter.

• Lv 7

Win7 computers never had Bluetooth. you need wired speakers for them.

Bluetooth is a type of wireless communication. Your computer needs to have Bluetooth capabilities for this to work.

• .

The source link below describes how to connect a Bluetooth device to a Windows computer. In the upper part of the page you'll see "Select product version" and it may be defaulted to Windows 10. Click on the down arrow in that box and select Windows 7. 

.

In Windows 7

Before you start, make sure that your Windows 7 PC supports Bluetooth.

>>Turn on your Bluetooth device and make it discoverable.

The way you make it discoverable depends on the device. Check the device or visit the manufacturer's website to learn how. 

>>Select Start button icon > Devices and Printers.

>>Select Add a device > select the device > Next.

>>Follow any other instructions that might appear. Otherwise, you're done and connected.

Your Bluetooth device and PC will usually automatically connect anytime the two devices are in range of each other with Bluetooth turned on.

• P

Most people use the small bluetooth speakers like that to connect directly to their phone and play music.  Laptops have built-in speakers and desktops will usually have larger speakers.   Your computer must have bluetooth in order to use the speaker which will look like a blue oval in the lower right tray on your windows task bar.  You would need to access this blue oval icon to "pair" the speaker.  Most desktops do not have bluetooth and older laptops like yours may not have it either.