Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Estate check?

if the check from the estate gets lost in the mail or thrown out by my dad. Does that mean i just lost all the money? Or can they write another check? I have an inheritance coming and my dad always throws away anything that looks like junk mail and I can't stop him from doing it since I'm not around. If he threw that out would the money be gone?

No, it won't be gone, unless it was stolen and someone cashed it, pretending to be you.  If two weeks has gone by, inform the person who wrote the check, ask for a stop payment on the check and to reissue it.

• G R

It is very likely that an estate check assuming your name is on the envelope will not look like junk.  Just like any other check, if the first one hasn't been cashed then they can reissue another one.  If you are an adult living at your parents house, i highly suggest you invest in a po box.

ask for the money to be paid directly into your account rather than via a cheque  or arrange to have the cheque posted else where, or arrange to pick it up from whoever is issuing it.

• Tavy

If you are not around then give the lawyers a different address. OR talk to your Dad, he should not be throwing away mail addressed to you.

• A.J.

It is a bad idea to re-issue any check immediately. The issuer has to be contacted, issuer has to work with their bank to stop payment and cancel the old one. Wait from 5 to 90 days of their own choice to assure it is a dead check. Then they can issue a new one. If you are over 18, get a postal box, either at a post office or private facility that issues them. 

They will just cancel the check and write another. If possible go pick it up and not wait for the mail.

No, they can write another check.

If dad doesn't care for your mail, have the mail sent to the address you stay at or get a PO Box/mailbox.