Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

is having younger friends okay? ?

i'm 19. i have friends my age (16-24) and a few friends who are younger (14-12) is this okay? we're all online. is it weird? i met some of my younger friends when i was 17/just turning 18. any advice? 

Why shouldn't you be able to talk to somebody online, no matter what their age is? 

I have.

I suppose........

• edward

I’m 26 and i have friends who are 50+ and friends who are 16.  I don’t think of it as weird. 

No, not really. It is one thing to be friendly with, say, younger siblings of other friends your age, but it is a slippery slope to be an "online friend" to a minor when you are legally an adult.  I'd encourage you to keep your friend group to people who are no more than 2 years younger than you are.

There isn't much difference between some who is 39 and 32, but there is a HUGE difference in mental development and life experiences between someone 19 and someone who is 12. That's a child in elementary school for crying out loud.  

At the very least, you should ask to speak/chat with the child's parents and make sure they are okay with the relationship and what is going on in the game, chat room, instagram or whatever. If you or the child is not comfortable with that, then you need to stop. 

I think its perfectly okay, as long as the parents aren't concerned for any reasons. I'm 78, and I have two very special little friends, one is 9, the other only five! We like to howl at the moon together.