Paris asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

is there such a thing as hyperfixating/hyperfocusing TOO hard?

i’ve got adhd and depression, and so i tend to hyperfixate on things a lot. it’s always on books, shows, movies, just fandoms in general. usually it doesn’t last longer than like, 5 months at most. but, lately i’ve been watching a show (not saying which one because it’s embarrassing lol) and i’m fixated on one character so badly that im feeling like i’m doing something wrong. this is the first time i’ve gone to sleep thinking about a character, dreamt about the character all night and then woke up, still thinking about this character. i was watching an episode centered in this dude and, i don’t think i’ve ever stimmed so much in such a short period of time. i had to take a break from the show for a day because i was thinking about it SO MUCH that i wasn’t focusing on school or family. i literally cried over this fecker last night. last time i was fixated this hard i separated myself from the fandom and the character and i felt better soon after, but i feel like i can’t this time. i feel like if i do i won’t be able to leave the fandom or stop watching the show. it doesn’t help that i really enjoy the show, not just the character. i just love the character will all my heart. is this healthy?? do i need to be concerned?? and if so, what can i do to separate myself from this character?

(and yes this is 100% serious and i’m not being an uwu fangirl 🔮💧👄👀, i’m just genuinely concerned and if i need to drop this character for the show he’s from then i want to know. thank you!!)

You've kind of answered your question. You say, "I wasn’t focusing on school or family." That's the problem with distractions. If we use them and not abuse them, they can help with a case of depression. Anything that takes your mind off your troubles for a while is good so long as you don't let it dominate you. 

What I just said is from one of the top experts on how lifestyle affects our moods, therapist and researcher Steve Ilardi of the University of Kansas. His book is one of the things I tell about in this answer, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Another thing about abusing TV is that it takes up time that could be used for exercise, which is very therapeutic. Of all the basic lifestyle choices, the one with the best evidence is exercise, and you don't have to be an athlete to benefit from it. Research shows that when people suffering from depression go for long walks with friends, this is very therapeutic (source - the lifestyle-depression project at the University of Kansas). 

Of all the traditional Asian methods (meditation, tai chi, etc.) the one with the best evidence for helping people with mood problems is controlled breathing. I have information about therapeutic breathing recommended by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg and PTSD therapist Emma Seppala in my answers. This is safe and requires no training.

By the way, this answer to a question about ADHD and homework was rated Best, 5 Stars.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...