Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 2 months ago

How annoying is oversinging or melisma, when one syllable is sung for many seconds worth of notes?

Mariah Carey does that a lot.

After hearing her do it in practically every song that I heard her sing, I tuned her out completely.

It works if written with the melody of the song.  Tacking it on to the national anthem or other song that doesn't have a corresponding line of notes to go with it is annoying.

She has no real musical training or talent. She can't play an instrument, only sing, so she really has to make it count. It's not really about the music with people like her.... it's about showing off and everyone admiring and fawning over them.

she is better than many

anything over done even the best can be off putting 

Mariah Carey is a legend. Someone should slap you!

Mariah Carey does it WELL!  It's part of her style, I would say an important part.

The problem is that everyone wants to sound like her.  If you listen to singing contest reality shows (which I DETEST), it's like everyone is competing to get as many notes into the last syllable as possible.  If you're going to say it can sometimes be a little annoying, I agree with you there.

O’er the laaaaaaaa-a-a-a-A-a-A-a-A-A-A-A-a-aaa-AAAAAND of the fa-reeee-E-e-E-eee-EEEE-eeeeeeeeee-EEEEEE-e-E-e-E!!!!!!!!

Atilla Csihar of Mayhem employs that to great effect.

That would depend on which song and who is doing it, which you totally didn't say.

It works really well in The Lion Sleeps Tonight by the Tokens, in Metal Gods by Judas Priest, or in Celine Dion's cover of Power Of Love.

When some underwear model turned pop diva does it, especially if they use auto-tune, not so much.

There is nothing inherently wrong with melisma. It's been around since ancient times - that's why it's got the weird sounding Greek name. Like anything you can do it tastefully, or take a "this is what all the singers do to be good at the singing and I want to be good so I will do that thing too" approach.