Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Can I feed my dog a whole apple, I'm going to try it and see what happens?

Apples are not bad for dogs in moderation of course. in fact there are some health benefits and are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber for your dog. Mix with peanut butter you have a great snack!  They should be okay with one apple depending on the size. But I would only give them half because of the high sugar content if it is a larger apple, especially if your dog has never eaten one before or is a smaller sized breed.

However, WARNING, the seeds are toxic. That said it would probably take a whole lot of them more than one apple worth to cause any real harm, none the less you should take them out prior to feeding.

Experimenting with what your dog will eat (and they tend to eat anything put before them) can kill your pet. I don't think an apple would do this, but you are being very foolish, if you continue to experiment in this fashion.  If your animal gets extremely sick, and you have to rush it to the vet, you are going to run up a huge bill and could still lose your animal. Read up on what dogs should not be fed. Enough said.  

• Ocimom

NO.  The dog should not eat the core or the seeds inside.  They are highly toxic.  Rest of the apple is ok tho.

I do not see a question, just a statement.  I would try little bites before I gave a whole apple.

Dogs aren't meant to eat plants, and the seeds contain trace amounts of cyanide to begin with.

The rest of the apple would cause no harm, but there's no point in feeding it to him.

• Maxi

NO! The seeds of the apple contain cyanide

Yes, it's perfectly safe to feed a dog with apples. Many vets recommend giving a dog a little bit in the way of fruits and vegetables in their diet, along with a good quality dog food, as it helps to mimic a natural diet for them. Basically, since dogs are predators in the wild, they would naturally eat the contents of a ruminant's digestive system, and so eat a little in the way of plant material as well, not just meat. 

NB if you do choose to give a dog any extras to eat, such as fruits and vegetables, dog treats, or other 'human foods' which are safe to give them - for example skinless cooked chicken, popcorn or some peanut butter - this should make up no more than 10% of the dogs diet. At least 90% of a dog's daily diet should be a good quality dog food. Whichever number of calories come from any treats the dog has, subtract this from their food ration, otherwise the dog can easily become overweight.However, you must make sure obviously that the apple is ripe, and also remove the pips first. This is because apple pips contain cyanide which is toxic.Hope this helps.

Yes, and okay.

Can you?  Yes.

Don't feed your dog the apple core or seeds.  The rest is all good.

Yeah, sure. Probably loves the crunch and chew.