Is AVG and Avast spyware now?

I hear in the past AVG and Avast where good but today hear from friends not to install AVG or Avast saying they are spyware. now days.Is it true AVG and Avast are spyware now?

Is Avira or Bitdefender free edition better free antivirus software than AVG or Avast?

I have used Both when I loaded Win 10 I decided to try Avast but found they were Not as Good as AVG because when I had Both on my computer did a scan and AVG found items missed by Avast

But i would say Both are Good and Free

For Avast, I am pretty sure it is not. Don't know exactly about AVG.

• garry

fore starters avast is proably one of the best virus software , better than avg in my opinion , number 2 , its not spyware, after all all software has a reporting problems built into them that can be turned off . your friend has probably mistake the error reporter as spyware , and hasnt turned it off , even windows has a reporting program , and its not a spying program . seems your friend doesnt know enough about computer software .avast is a freeware program , just 3 other parts are missing if you dont pay . but the antivirus works fine .

• Enigma

No they are not spyware. They may collect some info about how you use their software but you have the option to opt out of it. All four anti-virus programs you mentioned are tops. Kaspersky free is tops too. 

They aren't spyware though the interface is similar to what you see on spyware. Anymore those programs are just resource hogs.

• Embery

Just keep it six feet away from other computers and have it wear a mask, you should be ok. Hope that helps.

• Bill-M

No it is not true.   If your still using Windows 7, then AVG or Avast are good options.

If your using Windows 10, then there is a problem.   Windows 10 has it's own Anti Virus program called Windows Security (old name was Defender).  There is no need for Third Party Anti Virus Programs on Windows 10. But you can use Malwarebytes as it is more than just an Anti Virus program. It is a Malware Program.

You will find Windows 10 will report other anti-virus programs and even CCleaner as PUP/s

.

• Lv 7

unless they have proof or can give you details, don't just believe hearsay.

we use AVG on all our computers at work. there's nothing bad in it.

loads of popup ads, but that is the price of "free" antivirus.

No, it is not true.

• Goerge

Antivirus software company AVG Technologies has been acquired by rival Avast Software for $1.3 billion. Both companies were founded in the Czech Republic and expanded globally with AVG going public in 2012. With this deal Avast will purchase AVG, now based in The Netherlands, at $25 per share.Jul 7, 2016

Jan 27, 2020 - Avast is harvesting users' browser histories on the pretext that the data ... of our AV (antivirus), and we are now also prompting our existing free users to ... Indeed, when you install the Avast or AVG antivirus on a Windows PC, ...