Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What's a good language to know (besides English)?

I live in America

Mandarin,China is getting stronger, and so many people in the world are speaking it, since all the people around the world are trying to learn english, so language will not be a problem when you travel abroad, but when you speak Mndarin to billions chinese in China or somewhere, it is different ,just cool. 

Spanish.

Without a doubt. Even in a place not in the southwest. Call some business and Spanish is always offered as a second choice.

"Para servacio in Espanol, pressione numero 2 ahora." I get this all the time.

I agree with Spanish.  I have native fluency in it.  Am now learning Portuguese and German.

• Sathi

Spanish, without question. It's the most-spoken language in the U.S. after English, and the number of native speakers is growing at a rapid pace.

• Zirp

ANY language is worth learning when you are going to use it. Using ANY second language every now and then has brainhealth-benefits.

The easiest language (with over a million users) is Esperanto, and learning it before another language doesn't even take extra time ( see wikipedia Propaedeutic_value_of_esperanto )

For career-purposes, any of the "critical languages" (google that) would be a good choice

Americans should learn Spanish as it is the first language for about 30 million Americans.

13% of the U.S. population speaks Spanish, and it is becoming more and more common to see signs in both English and Spanish in places such as hardware stores and grocery stores, and to have a contractor who speaks Spanish.

Also, if you call many offices you are asked if you want the conversation in English or Spanish.

So, yeah, Spanish is very useful to have.  I've recently downloaded the Duolingo app to learn some Spanish, partly to find out what shoppers and others around me are talking about!

• Alex

Spanish and french it gives you a chance to learn and appreciate your neighboring countries. Not everything you see in the news is true youd be surprised at how hospitable other cultures can be.  

Also sign language would be a good option to help communicate with people who might feel invisible to the world. Youd be making a huge difference in their life and I'm sure they'd really appreciate it. 

• Scott

Spanish would be a very practical language to know if you live in the United States. If you live in Canada, then French would be a good language.