Shae asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 months ago

Why do bathrooms have only female and male gender assignments?

There are so many genders and why not just make all bathrooms gender-neutral? Also now that all the people that don't think there are more than two genders are here, tsk tsk tsk. 

Update:

@Foofa

Really! That's great!

Update 2:

I feel like they should make them gender-neutral because some people haven't had surgery but look like how society expects them to look as a man/woman so they can't use either (this is really more trans women).  

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Because society hasn't developed enough yet to understand that people don't just fit into two categories and that there is a spectrum between male and female. Hopefully in the future there will be bathrooms provided that will make everyone feel comfortable.

• ?
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Many places now are making their bathrooms gender neutral. This is especially true in restaurants and establishments that have single restrooms. 

• God
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

There are two genders only. Rarely someone can be born both. But there are still only two. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Men’s and women’s bathrooms were created based on biological sex, not gender and that’s how they should stay.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

I believe I read somewhere that they started implementing gender neutral restrooms and the feminists had a fit because guys were leaving seats up or peeing all over. LOL.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are commonly bathrooms for just two genders because they were designed for two sexes. Just because people started identifying as all sorts of stuff in the recent years, doesn't make a difference to most establishments that provides these restrooms. The majority of the users are still male and female. A lot of places don't even have restrooms for the disabled and you think they're gonna give a **** about people who feel offended by bathroom signs? In most places, they'll just roll their eyes and tell you to use whichever.

• amy
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Theres only two genders.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

they don't.  *Toilets* often are based on *sexe*

Mainly because in general, women don't like to pee standing

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There are places around the town where i live, have got rid of bathrooms and just put in single uses bathrooms instead that have locking doors that anyone can use.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Bathrooms were originally divided based on sex, not gender. The argument that the bathrooms are divided based on gender is factually false. In any event, I'm opposed to gender neutral bathrooms. 

• Dick
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Most of the newest office buildings and restaurants seem to have unisex bathrooms. This isn't something new. It's been fairly common since the late 1980s

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.