Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 2 months ago

Why is Canada so paranoid about the virus?

I was thinking about making plans to drive across the border and stay at a few resort sites but the paranoia around the virus that I see in the Canadian media is unbelievable.

Also, please explain why Americans are not allowed to stop and visit some cities en route to Alaska.  

Common sense is the reason, something that you obviously do not have.

Many countries ban travelers fro the US now due to the high infection rates in the US.

Look at how Americans are treating the virus compared to Canadians.  I live in the Yukon, and people here are extremely wary of people with US plates on their way to/from Alaska.  Americans do not seem to care about the virus, even though more than 165,000 have died of it now, with no signs of slowing down.

ALL the people in the Yukon who had it got it outside, mostly on visits to the USA.  Why would we let Americans in?  You guys are not taking this illness seriously!

• It's not paranoia it's about keeping Canadians safe and from getting infected. You could be a carrier of covid and not know it. 

You won't be able to right now, the boarder is closed until Aug 21st, and it may be further extended until the US can get it's covid case numbers under control. 

Canadians don't want Americans that are possibly infected coming into Canada and causing more covid cases or a second wave of covid. 

Please tell me you aren't that stupid?

The reason why the US/Canada border is closed, is because of how out of control the virus is spreading in the US! All it takes is for one person to be aystematic, and boom it spreads like wild fire, we don't need to have whats occuring in the US occur here in Canada.

Secondly, lets assume that you drive through Alaska and into Canada, I'll play along here- By law you will be required to self isolate for 14 days, this means you drive right from the border, and into your hotel room, no stops in between! If you are caught? You face a fine of up to $5000 and/or 6 months in prison. Also, newsflash, any resort you show up for will ask you where you are travellng from... wait for it... if you tell them you crossed the border and didn't self isolate, management would refuse you entry at their resort.

I really suggest you start using your brain cells here.

"the paranoia around the virus that I see in the Canadian media is unbelievable."

Forgive us your ignorance.

With all due respect the USA has over 150,000 deaths... an absolutely horrid thing to lead the world in.

"Also, please explain why Americans are not allowed to stop and visit some cities en route to Alaska.  "

ummm, because 150,000 of you are dead and about 5 million of you actually are infected with it

Because according to our Health Minister "the usa doesn't have it act together yet" and the numbers back that up.

And mostly, because the borders are closed.

Call us paranoid, perfectly fine.  For valid reason.

Because a lot of us don't want to get sick or die if we can help it, and since the spread of COVID seems to be pretty much unchecked in the US, Canadians would rather not have Americans visit just now. It is not 'the media' who feel that way. It's ordinary Canadian people. At last count, a week or so ago, at least 80% of Canadians did not want the US-Canada border opened any time soon.

We don’t need the media. All we need to do is look at the cesspool south of the border. 

• Robert

Because Canada is a sovereign nation and doesn't want potential carriers of the virus in their country.  I support them just as I'd be glad to see the US cut out foreign visitors to this country until the plague is over.