Jeffrey K asked in SportsHockey · 1 month ago

When will next hockey season start for the NHL?

What is the plan? Will they play an 82 game season? Will teams play in their home towns or all in one city? Will fans be at the games? 

Right now, they're planning a Dec 1 start to the 2021 season and they plan to play a full schedule. Rather that happens remains to be seen. https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/2020/7/9/21318...

• opurt

Everything's subject to change, but they're seemingly planning on starting in December with preseason in late November (basically, 2 months later than usual) and still fitting in the full season, ending in roughly July, then 2021/22 can get back to normal scheduling.

But it's also still up in the air, the situation in the US would have to get a lot better before Canada would allow that much travel back and forth across the border to avoid the need for Hub cities, there's no idea if fans will be in the seats and if so how many, or anything else. 

As of now, there is no plan on what's going to happen in regards to the 2020/21 NHL season, no official statement by the NHL/NHLPA has been released to the public as of what will transpire. I think a lot hinges on how the cases go between now and late fall in regards to CVD-19, and I include Canada and the US as a whole btw. I think if cases continue to drop, then a plan will be made on how to safely start the 20/21 season, but if cases surge, then I think you will see the NHL cancel the 2020/21 season.

I would assume there will be several models on the table:

1- Start the NHL season in Janurary, and have a shortened season (40 games) and start the playoffs per usual in April.

2- Cancel the 2020/21 season entirely

3- Start the NHL again next June lets say, and playoffs commence in Augusts

Now this to me is the biggest hurdle here, is where will teams play? There's no way in hell they will be able to do a 2 hub city, there would be no way to cram in all those games in 2 arenas. Do they extend it to maybe 10 hub cities spread out in areas where there is low case numbers? Do they go back to each team playing home games in their individiual arena?

Will there be fans at the games? I would assume no, there's no vaccine in play yet, so I can't see the NHL allowing fans to the arenas. If they were to allow fans? I would wager that the arena would not be filled to capacity, that seats would be spaced out, and masks would be mandated to wear.

This by far will be the most interesting offseason for ALL teams, there's a lot that is going to be needed to be figured out as to when, where, and how to safely start up the 2020/21 season.

• Currently the league is planning on starting next season in early December and playing a full 82-game regular season; they haven't gone further.  The AHL and CHL (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) will start in early December as well.