Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 2 months ago

Toyota Camry in the snow?

We get bad winters where I live. I was looking into getting an old Camry as my first car, but I was a bit afraid of bad weather. I wasn't sure how a FWD vehicle would do in snowy conditions. If anyone has driven a Camry in the snow, can you please give me some advice? 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Front wheel drive should be  fine, like everyone else said. However, if you are thinking All Wheel Drive, and if you're thinking of an old car, The in All Wheel Drive, Camry All-Trac was offered back in the late 80's-early 90's on the Gen 2 Camry. You never mentioned how old you were looking at, so I decided to share that info. 

• 2 months ago

My wife has a 09 Camry and the most annoying thing is that damn traction control, you need to turn it off while trying to power out of something deep. beside that it goes thru snow better than my 2wd pickup truck. 

• F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Winter tyres are the answer but should be fitted to ALL wheels not just the driving wheels. If you fit them just to the front , you’ll have less grip at the back when braking and end up spinning.

• 2 months ago

It will be OK in the snow, just not deep snow...say over 24 inches.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Ian K
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Drive a 1986 Camry with pizza cutter (tall and thin) snow tires as a winter car.  Have driven a '09 with snow tires through a blizzard (couple hundred miles), both did pretty well.  I'd take my '86 running snow tires over my F250 with all seasons any day.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

FWD cars do very well in the snow the problem you run into is when the depth of the snow gets more than 5-6 inches you may be plowing snow with the air dam, lower body parts and that will eventually stop you. So just don't expect to go driving in snow more than about 4" deep

• Barry
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

FWD grips better in snow than RWD. 'J' is correct. Good snow tires fitted will be effective. Even if you get stuck 'sawing' the wheel from side to side will find grip. Something that can't be done with RWD.

• J
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

FWD cars actually do very well in the snow. The most important thing is to get good tires. If you put snow tires on the front wheels, you'll be fine. I live in upstate NY and I've never had anything but a FWD. You just need to get used to driving in snow. It's a skill that's quite different from normal driving.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Get a Subaru.                      

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.