I was standing near the Walmart entrance and a woman I didn't know punched me in the back. Is that assault?

She punched me in my lat muscle while I was talking to the Walmart greeter about the LA Dodgers. It didn't hurt. But as she passed by me she I looked and was shaking her hand like it was hurt. I thought it was so odd. I didn't know her. I left plenty of space for people to get around me to enter the building. I couldn't believe that she punched me, though. I was thinking, "Jeez, that's probably assault." I didn't press the issue because there was no damage to me. But how odd is THAT situation?

Of course it is.  

Assault is a violent physical or verbal attack on another person. Battery is an offensive touching or use of force on a person without the person's consent.

Without being able to determine the degree of her intention, we cannot hazard a guess as to whether it rises to the level of being a criminal act. Injury is not required for it to be considered a criminal act. It would just affect the degree of the charge.

Was that the first time something like that has happened to you? I have things like that happen every so often. It would probably be a misdemeanor assauIt or something. It's probably not worth the effort to make anything out of it. Yesterday I was waiting for a train with a guy standing right next to me almost shoulder to shoulder and this 5' east asian lady squeezed in between us just to elbow us both in the ribs and walk away with her elbows still out like a chicken. I think she wanted us to know she did it on purpose or something, but I had no idea why she did that. Weird people out there