Sam asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Is it possible to fake your own death and successfully evade the police and start your life over under a new identity?

I'm curious about this, I'm doing a research paper for school and I want to know if this is possible. Is it possible to pull this off ?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Yes.   The classic way is you go to a grave yard and find the stone of a kid who died that would be about your age now.   Then you get a copy of the kid's birth certificate.   Then you use that to get other ID.   Eventually you can assume the identity of the kid.   It is harder now because they require a kid to have a social security number and when the kid dies it is reported.   But you could go to Canada and pull it off.

• Isabel
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It’s very illegal, but sometimes people get away with illegal stuff.

• 2 months ago

Not really now with technology.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the police are looking for you probably not unless you move to a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty. But if you're someone that no one is looking for in the first place and if you avoid any kind of high profile activities this might be possible. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Now you're expecting everyone to believe that your idea is strictly for research purposes?  Sure...

• 2 months ago

It has been done numerous times.

• xyzzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Is it possible? Yes. Is it easy? No. Is it cheap? It would be very pricey.

• Rick
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

not in this country, but there ARE places with less 'security' .......

• 2 months ago

U.S. marshals on the Witness Protection Program do that almost every day.

Whitey Bolger did that for many years

Just today an escaped criminal was found after almost 50 years on the run.

D.B. Cooper, the Zodiac Killer and the guy who butchered the "Black Dahlia" (Elizabeth Short) have never been found.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.