engine hesitation when accelerating?

Toyota celica 1986 GTS  Engine : 3S-GE           

The car idling is not bad at all but when i try to accelerate the car SLOWLY its not bad , but when i try to press the gas pedal harder to accelerate, car gets load and hesitates and exhaust is making sound like bruup bruup bruup bruup , and a bit gas smell coming.

And the strange thing is , i started the car and removed the throttle position sensor when idling and nothing changed when i removed it, is it throttle position sensor ? thank you 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

The throttle position sensor regulates the shift points of the transmission. Change the spark plugs with either NGK or Denso Iridium spark plugs. The MAF sensors commonly fail on Toyota's. You need a mechanics $3000 scan to to read the engine data to make sure all the sensor voltages are with in spec.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Leave the TPS alone. The problem is probably a torn air intake boot. The convoluted hose between the throttle body and airflow meter must not have ANY cracks or tears on it. Any auto parts store should be able to sell you a new one. They were such a common problem.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Engine is running rich.  Clean the MAF sensor.  Replace air filter.  Check for leaking injectors.  Check for a bad fuel pressure regulator with a fuel pressure gauge.  Engine off, remove vacuum line to fuel pressure regulator and if you see fuel leaking in regulator, replace the regulator.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.