How do you keep little gnats/fruit flies away? I have bleached the sinks, and put out apple cider vinegar traps, but they come back.  Help.?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Kenny
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Put all your fruit leftovers in ziplock bags before you throw them away . We had this problem and this cured it .  You can't miss any banana peals or cores for this to work . We kept the bag on the counter zipped and added peals to it for a couple of days before we got another one to save on bags .

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They're laying eggs in something in your kitchen, most likely. So you catch some, but there's no end to the supply of new ones.

One shelf at a time, empty the cupboards and inspect everything that isn't already in a glass container with a tight lid. I bet you'll find a source in some seldom-used product, like the tail end of a box of cereal, an opened bag of nuts held shut with a rubber band, or that box of pasta or rice that doesn't have enough left for a meal. (I found my infestation in nuts.)

I've never done this but read that it works. Minimize what's in your freezer. One shelf at a time, if possible, freeze everything in a bag or box for 24 hours. This is supposed to kill any eggs or larvae. (Or wait for winter and set the stuff outside where critters can't get at it.)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.