San

Which is correct?

Two men blocked the exit, both holding (a gun / guns).

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

"Guns" is ambiguous because it could mean each was holding two or more guns. "Each" helps resolve the ambiguity.

Two men  blocked the exit, each holding a gun.

Of course if you said the more natural "Two men holding guns blocked the exit" readers would probably assume each had one gun.

I think humanity needs to change its way of thinking.

Evolve, not just on the outside , Materially since the industrial revolution.Man needs to wake up and realise that we’re all human first and foremost, And the earth is home to all of humanity but that  human beings are out of balance with nature... guns are not dangerous by themselves, it’s human beings that  pull the trigger?It’s when they are in hands of human beings, that’s why weWe need to change our way of thinking, reevaluate our priories, because in our reality, every thing is Impairment... I could go on but I won’t, I’m knackered..need to sleep..Learn, stay curious and don’t judge, (especially others)Basically, we need re-evolution, not revolution,

Kindness 

Guns, then they started shooting the high school students one by one.

• Zirp

How many guns in total? gun if one or two, guns if three or four

• Lv 7

actually it should be "each holding a gun", to be precise.

"both holding guns" would imply that they are together, which they may not be the case, if the guns were pointed at each other.

• RP

The correct word is guns. The reason is two persons wouldn't be holding a (one) gun.

• Ian

Guns.................................