Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesToyota · 2 months ago

Should I buy a 1984-1989 Toyota Cargo Van?

I need a van to do hauling services. Specifically the cargo vans that have no side windows and have leaf springs on the back. My uncle said they are very reliable vans. I found an 1989 Toyota Cargo Van for sale but he is asking $1200 for it. Not sure if it's a great investment. I cant find any for sale at the moment near my neighborhood but seen them go from $800-$4000. Not sure what's the true value on these vans. Any info helps. Or if any previous owners could share their experience with these vans I would gladly love to hear it.Thanks. 

• Edd S

Say you want to have it inspected and take it to Firestone for an underbody check of brakes and everything else under there.    It is thorough and inexpensive and you don't have to get the work done there.   Then have a good engine mechanic check it out including compression and vacuum tests etc.

Stay away from that engine in the middle POS.

• arther

its too old don't they have road worthy inspections in your country? You'd have no hope of registering something that old here as they would find that many worn parts it would be cheaper to buy a brand new van. Or do you think its cool to drive any pos as long as the engine runs on the roads today where there are more cars than ever going faster than ever? 

It is over 30 years old, so it would need to thoroughly inspected.  Toyota's seem to be indestructible . 

$1200 seems like a reasonable price but you should start with an offer of $1000, if it has been kept in reasonable shape mechanically 

You need more capital to buy a newer van.  30 year old vans will require a lot of fixing.  You cannot deliver when your van is constantly in the shop and your business will suffer.  Think about leasing.