Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

New dog help?????

So back in February a family member gave me a free German Shepard puppy.  He’s now 6 months old and we love him to death,  but other times me makes us very stressed.  He’s always play bitting,  he’s always ripping stuff around the house.

Sometimes we get so stressed we want to get rid of him,  but we couldn’t imagine being without him.    He’s smart and he’s always cuddling with me in the morning,  but how to we get him to my a more calm dog.   My neighbour has a German Shepard and it’s so calm.   Can I have advice ????

I take him for runs all the time 

Hire Pet Trainer's Services to change the pet's habit .

Advice #1 - don't own a breed you can't spell.  ShepHERD.  They are HERDING dogs.

Advice #2 - If you cannot control him, hire a trainer before you do nothing and destroy his future.  He's 6 months old and has apparently been taken from the litter, rehomed and then give to you.

Smart and cuddling have nothing to do with each other.

Puppies are taught not to bite when they are 8 weeks old.  You failed to train this dog & you are wondering why it bites.  If it is not trained not to bite, it will bite until you teach it not to bite.  Why people don't train their dogs is a mystery to me.  Don't you want an obedient dog that will listen to commands & do as ask?  That is Basic Obedience.  I can't help you help yourself.  Train the dog.

It is just a dumb de up dog now but with training it would be obedient.

German Shepherd...    The dog needs MORE EXERCISE and MENTAL STIMULATION.

Did you assume the breed would be "calm" simply because your neighbor has one, and his appears to be calm?

• Jojo

Love, cuddles and `runs` alone is not enough for a German SHEPHERD puppy.

You don`t mention any TRAINING you do with this pup or how long and what sort of `runs` you do with him.

You MUST curb his desire to still `nip and mouth` on people which if not stopped could cause serious damage.

Your family member was acting very ignorant if they GAVE you a GSD puppy and I do wonder as to what his breeding lines are.

GSD`s that are properly bred need experienced owners or they WILL eventually take over the household if not trained to respect their human owners. 

You sound extremely inexperienced with this breed and I can only suggest you find a good well established dog training club who will assess you and the dog and train you BOTH accordingly.

If you don`t do this NOW, by the time this pup fully adult he will more than likely have become Boss of your household.

STOP all that silly cuddling for `nothing`and do some training with him instead, and then when he does good, he has earned his praise and a treat.

This dog also needs at least 90 minutes exercise a day, half of which should be off lead (but only if he has a good recall or in an enclosed field). 

No FORCED running or exercise on hard surfaces as joint damage may occur.

If your dog does have a hyper temperament, then you really do have your work cut out, as you cannot turn an excitable, hyper natured dog into a laid back and calm dog. 

A dogs temperament is genetic and that cannot altered, only managed and modified with training and mental  stimulation and adequate exercise. 

Of course he will mellow a bit as he matures mentally, which can be between 24 and 36 months old on average.

Some help : https://www.google.com/search?q=Mouthing+in+a+6+mo...

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK

I don't know whether you posted about getting a German Shepherd puppy (note the spelling)  but I seem to remember then saying that there'd be trouble. 

A Germand Shepherd Dog should only be for experienced owners who have researched the breed and your family member was wrong to allow you to have this pup. 

Everything you are saying he is doing is what a 6 month old with lack of training and 'parenting' would show,  and this is always going to happen if you don't know what you're doing and don't put in the time to find a mentor and classes.  

Tbh.. my advice is to REHOME now OR find a good trainer and start putting in hours per week in sorting this out.  

• jean

exchange your hands for toys. Buy him some toys. U need to spend time everyday playing with him. He is just playing. When he bites your hands  put hands behind your and say a firm NO. U need to do this every times. Puppies do out grow this over time.

• Maxi

If you were gifted a GSD in Feb so 8 weeks old, he is 8 months old, not 6 months old ...a GSD is not a dog for a novice owner and reality is 'taking it for run' is the last thing you should be doing....... this dog needs serious training, serious socialisation, serious lead walking should have already been in a basic obedience class and onto the next stage class............. and you may 'love it' but it is not a teddy bear to cuddle and pups 'play bite' because the owner has not trained them how to behave and pups rip up everything as they are nit mentally stimulated........ so seriously think about your ability to provide even the very bare basics this dog NEEDS and if you are not prepared to up your game considerably then give this pup up to a home that is experienced and prepared to do the work/training it needs

• *****

German Shepherds are high energy dogs that benefit from structured activities and plenty of mental stimulation. You need patience, training, and time for him to mature, along with supervision to keep him from destroying things in your home.  A training class is a great idea to get started. 

And STOP taking him for runs. He is TOO YOUNG to be running him. You are going to destroy his joints at that age. 

• A

You need to get into a training class, should have been done months ago but better late than never.  A good class will teach YOU how to train your dog to eliminate undesirable behavior and reward good behavior, look for positive reinforcement training, not punishment based.  He needs training, he needs lots of exercise,  also try buying some dog puzzles, they have to work them to get treats and it is good brainwork.