Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

What is the plural of dear?

For example, if I am writing a letter to many people, then should I say Dears Sirs?

The plural of the noun Dear is Dears, which may be a term of endearment for children or pets and even adult friends, as in "My Dears". However, in the example you gave of "Dear Sir" you are not using Dear as a noun, but as an adjective. In English we do not make adjectives plural to agree with the noun becoming plural. In Spanish you would change "Caro Señor" to "Caros Señores" making the adjective Caro agree with the noun Senor, but in English the adjective Dear remains the same, just Dear, when you change the singular Sir to the plural Sirs.

• denise

There is no plural to it,  Just write 'Dear Sirs'.

Dear Sirs is correct, but you may want to consider a different salutation if writing a business letter.  For example "To whom it may concern" or "To (department name)".  And if you are unsure, stick to your gut feeling of the correct form.

If writing a thank you not for interviews, I highly recommend sending separate notes to each person, rather than a group note.  

Good Luck.

just write down dear sir

No, in English we don't change the endings of our adjectives the way they do in other languages.

Dear Sir; Dear Sirs.

Nope it's just Dear Sirs:

Using dear in this context is using it as a modifier that does not vary according to number.

i would just say dear anyways

Technically I think it would be Dear Sirs, or you could say 'To Whom it May Concern'

• mokrie

No. It's dear sirs. Dear does not need to be plural since sirs is plural.

• Mog

You would write Dear Sirs