Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Should my employer notify me if someone has been in contact with COVID or tested positive for COVID?

A coworker went to a party last weekend and came into work Monday and Tuesday. This coworker came in on Wednesday and notified management that they went to a party and someone tested positive. That wasn’t directly told to employees but it was passed on through the grapevine. Today I asked a manager if my coworker was okay. My manager said it was inappropriate to talk about that and it was in violation of HIPAA laws. Am I in the wrong here, or do I have the right to know if a coworker has been in contact with someone that has COVID or tested positive for COVID?

• Edna

No -- you do NOT have a right to know if a co-worker has been in contact with someone who has tested positive for corona virus. Just because your co-worker was in contact with someone who tested positive, that doesn't mean that your co-worker is going to contract the illness.

You don't even know for a fact that your co-worker  EVER notified management that he went to a party with someone who later tested positive for corona virus - you only heard that he did through the grapevine. Concern yourself about it only IF your co-worker comes down with corona virus.

• Lester

Yes if they were honest your employer would do this

• Andy C

Should is definitely different than will with Trump at the helm. 

• Elle

In LA they are considering make it mandatory that a work place notify workers is a co worker tests positive, however I dont think that will include a friend -of -a friend etc, meaning a real unknown contact but possibly a contact.

It would be a nice gesture.

• Scott

No. That’s the job of the contact tracers.