Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Is it pretty easy to get rich from a very basic invention, or even one that sounds dumb at first?

For a dumb idea, look at bottled water. It's a multi-billion dollar industry today, but imagine the first person who said: "I want to put water in a bottle and sell it," and the reaction they must have gotten from that.

Or honey mustard sauce. I love honey mustard sauce, I use it on all kinds of things.

You can find it used in many restaurants, it is an option in nearly every fast food place, and you can get it at any grocery store.

But imagine the first person standing in their kitchen who decided to mix honey and mustard together.

Sure wouldn't have seemed like a million dollar idea at the time.

We probably all have two items in our kitchens we could mix together that would come out okay, but hasn't been marketed before.

no, it is not easy...................

Nothing is easy but you are correct that those who suceed took risks and put in alot of work to make it happen.  Keep in mind asking others their standard answer is "that wont work" even though they themselves have never done it.  Dont take advice from those that have never done something.

• Steve

I imagine no. You have to scratch and claw for it to get noticed anywhere other than on Shark Tank.

Id bet my life that you nor anyone you know does it.

• Expat

Short answer: no. Bottled water wasn’t invented; it’s not a market you can enter. It’s actually very difficult to navigate all the patent and safety red tape before finding manufacturers and distribution before finally delivering products to customers. See Shark Tank. 

Coming up with ideas may seem easy to do, but turning an idea into realty isn't, so easy.

For me it's the other way around. Coming up with good ideas is hard to do, but turning it into a reality may be possible to do.

I thought about that idea too water in a bottle. Sometimes I drink water that's in a bottle.

I know there are different ways to get rich. I think it takes effort to be able to get rich. Being able to think of a good idea, and turning an idea into reality is where it can get difficult to do.

If I had a long list of ideas at my disposal then I would take a look at it, and see if I could turn any of those ideas into reality, but I don't have a long list of good ideas. :(

• danxp2

No it is not easy to make millions off a new dumb thing like the new salsa ranch combo condiment. First to market does not protect you from others selling their own branded salsa ranch combo. If you get any sort of market share with your new sauce a large corporation will undercut you on price and drive you out quickly. Good luck fighting to be the premium sales ranch combo and staying afloat. 

The first person who sold water in a bottle did so because they mixed booze in it. If you didn't mix your water with booze you would get cholera or something else really nasty. Canteens, or other methods of water collection and storage for travels and trading non-salt water has been around since people form communities of greater than 20 and were going through deserts to trade, or sailing on the salty seas. Now bottled water is a must for people without indoor plumbing/well, or those who have indoor plumbing but their water is contaminated, or hurricane/other disaster relief situations.

2nd The estate of the first person to put water in a container and sell it is the one who made billions off of it. 

Your best bet is to work for a corporation like 3M and come up with a post-it like product. They might actually buy you out or give you a royalty deal on your new thing... even if that was theirs since all your work product is owned by them when you are an employee. It can get some massive PR if they can promote their a place where even the lowest secretary is listened to and if they have a good idea they will follow through with it. 

No.  It takes a lot of work and even more luck.  There's a reason that ideas like that sound dumb: most of them are.  Most ideas like that fail.  If you mixed together two things in your kitchen, chances are that whatever you got would be something that has been marketed before -- unsuccessfully.

It's very easy to come up an idea, but much harder to market them.

Nearly all inventors lose money.  The chances of getting any money are perhaps 1 in 10,000, and even then, it would probably be less than you spent developing and trying to market the idea.

Finally, even in the extremely rare case that money is made, it's not always while the inventor is still alive.  In the extremely rare case that businesses use the invention, the stress of trying to get them to pay can be enough to kill the inventor.

The problem is, you cannot patent a list of ingredients.

Anyone could have used honey and anyone could have used mustard.

You propose your idea for a new kind of sauce, and any company could mass produce and market it, leaving you out of the profits.

Same with bottled water. 

Bottles already existed, and water already existed. Unless the original person had come up with a new kind of revolutionary bottle, they couldn't patent it.

A better example would be the Rubiks cube.