Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 months ago

How can the universe be eternal if energy and mass is lost forever? Therefore God created all of us?

Think about it. Electrons can be destroyed by positrons. by a process known as pair annihilation.  Whatever excess kinetic energy the positron possessed at the time of annihilation gets transferred to one or both of the two annihilation photons that result.

These annihilation-and-creation processes, so long as there's enough energy for creation to proceed smoothly, balance out in the early Universe.

In the earliest stages, its the heaviest particle-antiparticle pairs that disappear first. It takes the most energy to create the most massive particles and antiparticles, so as the Universe cools, it gets progressively less and less likely that the quanta of energy that interact can spontaneously create new partice/antiparticle pairs. But all the annihilations give rise to photons — the purest form of raw energy — along with all the prior annihilations that gave rise to photons as well. 

So long as temperatures and densities are high enough, all these reactions occur spontaneously and at equal rates.

But in this Universe, very few things are destined to last forever, and that includes these interconversions. The first important thing that happens to change this is that the Universe is cooling. As temperatures drop from trillions of K to billions of K, the majority of neutrons colliding with either positrons or electron-neutrinos can still produce protons, but the majority of protons colliding with either electrons or anti-electron-neutrinos now no longer have

Update:

nough energy to produce neutrons. two additional things happen in rapid succession, forever altering the course of the Universe. The first is that the weak interactions freeze out, meaning that the proton-neutron interconversion interactions stop occurring. When the Universe gets cold and sparse enough, the neutrinos (and antineutrinos) no longer interact, meaning that the neutrinos and antineutrinos we've made at this point simply ignore everything else in the Universe. 

Update 2:

They should still be around at present, with a kinetic energy that corresponds to a temperature of just 1.95 K above absolute zero. This means that the temperature of the leftover photon background — known today as the Cosmic Microwave Background — should be exactly (11/4)1/3 times hotter than the neutrino background: a temperature of 2.73 K instead of 1.95 K.

Believe it or not, we've already detected both of these, and they match with the Big Bang's predictions perfectly.

Update 3:

Because of the brief amount of time the weak interactions were important and antimatter persisted, the Universe is not 50/50 between protons and neutrons anymore, but rather split more like 86/14, in favor of protons. With the neutrinos and antineutrinos completely decoupled from all the other particles in the Universe, they simply move through space freely, at speeds indistinguishable (but slightly lower than) the speed of light. Meanwhile, the anti-electrons are all gone,

Update 4:

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Energy and mass are never lost.  Energy can escape into the comic ray background of the universe, but in 13 billion years the universe has not yet ended in a big crunch or in a freeze.  It's not likely to do either of them, either.  God is constantly feeding energy (and maybe matter) into the universe.

• gillie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Energy and mass AREN'T lost forever.  They just change state. And no, that doesn't mean a god exists. 

• Zac Z
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don't understand the point of your post which I am hesitant to call a question.

What you are describing more or less is the idea of the heat death of the universe.

Where this connects with god(s) or a supposed creation of "us" (whatever you mean by us), is beyond me.

As Chris Ancor says, this should be in the Physics section. But you might want to add a question that is connected to your "essay".

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

And you, who are you? In saying the universe isn't Eternal?

Have you ever studied the law of physics? Everything is created, nothing is destroyed, everything is transformed! WOW!  (@. Misty: Did you wash your face this morning, so you wake up with your Myth Demons?)

So, whatever is on this earth is NOT destroyed, it can only be transformed into other things, But the universe that God created, will remain as it is! eh?

Next time take off the Burka, I want to see if you dare to repeat the same childish question?

It's always me, Robert, I put on my burka so you don't block me, clear, trolls!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Misty
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

All gods are myths, its a fact.

• 2 months ago

Long rant that should be in the physics section. There are no gods by the way.

• 2 months ago

I don't think we can really say much about what happened at/before the start of the Big Bang. While the Universe as we know it seems to have had a starting point, whether there is something eternal that caused it is open to question. If there is some such thing I don't see that it had to be a god, let alone any specific god.

• 2 months ago

That's theoretical physics bull sh𝐢t.

• Bryce
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

"Therefore God created all of us" is a non sequitur, an invalid argument or goofball logic.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Even science gives the universe age, meaning that it had a definitive beginning, and before that, it didnt exist. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.