Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 months ago

would it do much strain or damage to a manual transmission to park for a few minutes on a steep hill while in gear (with no parking brake)?

why it would or not? how depends if it is a old vehicle? like nearly 30 years old

Update:

like in reverse gear on a down hill slope

Update 2:

& is it true that there is a LOT more strain on a transmission when driving up or down a hill vs. being parked? (meaning it is what a transmission is made for and does,,,it is built to be strong enough to propel itself up a hill, so, in that case, parking in gear is not really more strain?

Update 3:

----> TO BILL OR ANYONE ELSE WHO CAN ANSWER,,,,,,how would it roll in gear if i have it in reverse facing downhill and first going up hill?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill
    Lv 6
    4 months ago
    Favorite Answer

If the grade is steep enough, it will roll and turn the engine over. 1st gear or reverse are the proper gears to leave it in. No harm to the gearbox. The engine will turn backwards if it’s in first pointing uphill or reverse pointing downhill, if the grade is steep enough to overcome the engines compression 

• Thomas
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

In old cars without disc breaks and in countries with strong winters people NEVER used parking breaks and ALWAYS parked in 1st gear (especially on high mountains). Old parking breaks froze to the break drum and after having defrosted such a thing one time in your life you never ever used the parking break anymore for one time in your life.

• M.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Again this question? 

No strain, no damage to the transmission.  Driving it puts far more stress on it. 

If you are on a significant slope, the weight of the car by gravity will be trying to move downhill. 

It doesn't matter which gear you put it in, the car will try to turn the engine.  Over time it WILL move, unless the parking brake is PROPERLY applied, or the front tires are turned into the curb, or a tire is blocked. 

Don't think that your engine CAN'T turn.  It CAN.  The starter turns your engine.  So can gravity. 

-Engine overhaul mechanic and general automotive mechanic since 1972

• hart
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

you will overheat the clutch and damage the flay wheel

expensive job

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

It won't do any damage, otherwise you could not drive up or down them hilly roads.

.  It does not turn over the motor when you have it in the proper gear (reverse going downhill as the transmission is locked up)  

. As a test, put it in 2nd while facing downhill and sit in the car...the wheels turn over the engine.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It would be a bit of a strain. It might also be hard to shift out of park, unless you curbed the wheels before shifting to park. Get the parking brake fixed asap.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It's the T00 TROLL folks. Just report him for asking the same question over and over. Thank you.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Not only would it not matter, we used to have a chevy pickup truck with 3 in the tree (3 speed manual with the shifter located on the steering column).  You could not take the key out of the ignition unless it was in Reverse.  From that vehicle on, I have always put my car in reverse gear when parked.  The only time I had an issue was on a very steep hill, and my car actually started to creep back, and I had to use the hand brake too.

• 4 months ago

For heaven's sake,. how many more times?  When you stop you use the parking brake and can put it into gear as a backup. In fact it's wise precaution to always take, hill or no hill. If you don't have a working parking brake it shouldn't be on the road.

Reverse is a slightly lower ratio than first and will (very) slightly resist being turned better. It really doesn't matter in practice.  You can align the wheels so they hit the curb should it roll even after all this.

And if you're still obsessed with this, yes, you can add your chocks as yet another backup.

• 4 months ago

Regardless of what gear you put it in, you are supposed to point the tires so they hit the curb if the car was to roll because of gravity, and that will keep the car from going forward or rolling backwards. Experiment with it yourself, best way to learn. Good luck!

• 4 months ago

Parking in first gear on a hill will not ruin the tranny. Depending on the age and mileage on the motor   the compression may be reduced allowing the vehicle to roll,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.