Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetYouTube · 2 months ago

How did people upload videos before youtube?

I was born in 2005 lol so help me out 

Youtube was created in 2005, so square up

• Steven

Don't know, but youtube is best for all kinds of videos. 

There was no "widespread" way for "ordinary" people to publish videos before YouTube and Facebook. 

Before then, only the news media and TV networks could publish videos.  And the internet was still young.  

Cellphone videos didn't become possible till the early 2000's and smartphones didn't become popular until around 2008-09. 

Video cams were popular in the 90s but they were huge compared to now and unless the news media published them for some reason (like a crime caught on tape) there was no way for a regular citizen to publish a video. 

The old videos you see online now we're captured on analog, film, and VHS a long time ago, stored in someone's basement or warehouse and then dug up, converted into a digital format then uploaded onto the internet.  

There was basic video upload function on Photobucket back when it was still free, as well as on MySpace + Facebook (though on Facebook it wasn't easy to find it again until later on).

Footage was pretty low resolution on digital cameras back then, so the playback file size was pretty small, making it possible to host it yourself on web hosting with a download link or embed it to play back with a  browser plugin. 

Complete with download link to software such as "RealPlayer" or "Apple QuickTime" or "Windows MediaPlayer" to play it back.

Failing that there was also the option of burning it onto a CD-ROM, which wasn't always reliable back then, and didn't take much to screw it up and have to start again with a fresh disk..... and there was also the risk when mailing it that it'd snap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YMXQnxtsHI

Youtube thumbnail

Before YouTube, if you wanted to share videos you put the VHS cassette in a mailing envelope and dropped it in the mailbox for the postman.

Before Youtube, there really wasn't any kind of main stream thing to upload videos.  That really wasn't something I thought about back then, because the service hadn't been invented yet.

There was like one site back in 97 called shareyourworld.com, but it shut down sometime in 2001.  So unless you had your own website, it was really hard to come by, but for me, that just wasn't something that ran through my head.

I never thought I'd be uploading stuff that other people could view.  I always thought it was just going to be, visit a couple interesting websites, learn some stuff, chat in chat rooms with random people and then play PC games.

Now it's like this explosion of craziness with youtube, and social media, and movies and games being digital.

There were a couple options before YouTube, such as Newgrounds, but by and large, people didn't share a lot of video before the widespread availability of broadband internet, which roughly coincided with the creation of video sharing sites like YouTube.