Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 2 months ago

When will my scar fade?

5 months ago I accidently burnt my hand in the oven, even after all that time the scar remains. It looks ugly and it's very noticeable. It slightly puffed out and the skin feels and looks rough. It still feels sensitive when I rub it. It's still red. When will it fade and become less noticeable, I hate when people look at it.

I had a scar due to surgery. It took about 1 and 1/2 years before it finally softened and faded. Before that it was red and swollen looking. 

When I was 8 I got a scar on my eyebrow, the nurse told me the the scar would fade into my skin colour or close to my skin colour over time, it slowly did and now you can't tell it's there unless you are right next to me looking for it. If it's just a burn on you then what you should probably do is put some ice on it for about an hour a day (you can separate the time e.g. 5 min before work, 5 min before lunch ect.) But before you listen to random people on Yahoo talk to a docter, nurse or any given professional in that field. Best of luck!

• Laura

Scars are permanent, its why its called a scar and not skin.  

It takes scar tissue 12-18 months to fully form and settle, so it will probably be sensitive for a while, but it will stay red.  

Over time, like years, it might fade, but it will still always be a scar.  

• Judy

I had a surgical wound cauterized and stitched.  It looked nasty, but after a few years it is has healed very well.  I never put anything on it and I kept it out of the sun.  

Alot of people suggest massaging bio-oil or mederma into scars, but I find what works best is a derma roller (I use 1mm) and some unrefined shea butter.

The derma roller helps flatten scars and the shea butter is jam-packed with vitamins that will help fade the scar.

Scars usually fade for up to two years. I'd talk to a professional if you can and haven't already to figure out what the best way is to take care of it.

There's also a chance it won't completely go away but it's unlikely to be as noticeable as it is now. 

I burnt my hand in the oven last year and I was afraid the scar wouldn’t disappear too. I don’t remember how long it took to disappear (less than a year) but now it is gone. I didn’t add anything besides aloe vera gel for the cooling effect. Your skin will heal over time so don’t fret too much. 

Some scars heal slowly. Try a regular routine of Vitamin E, best at night with a thin cotton glove on that hand, avoid the sun and be patient.

Two years ago I had a melanoma removed from my shin, I check it for fading now and then and today I noticed how much is has shrunk and faded.

Try MEDERMA Cream.  It lightens up scars...

You may want some medication to help the healing.  there are over the counter items you can try.  Go to the drug store, show the pharmacist and ask for a recommendation.  They love to help.