Is there a legal way to get into a top American university through money?

I know that places like the Ivy League are very selective, and I remember that somebody had mentioned that most American university admission procedures are "needs-blind" so paying a higher tuition doesn't seem to be a viable option if you want to attend a university you are not smart enough to be admitted to. Is there a legal way to get into a top university by using money? Does being rich actually increases your chances at getting admitted to a top university? I am not talking about children of billionaires - I guess you could buy anything with that money - I am talking about ten-percenter level of rich.

• Zapata

Certainly. Money talks. Large, "very generous" financial donations from your family to fund new library extensions, or new laboratories, or impressive new sports facilities, will always be looked upon approvingly during any university admissions procedure and will definitely ensure an easy passage to entry. No university will risk losing a large amount of money from a donor by denying a place to the donor's child, even if their academic results are not up to the normal required standard.

• DON W

If a relative is an alumni, that gives you an edge.  If that relative was also a large donor to the school, that gives you a further edge.

If your family is wealthy enough to pay for a new building on campus, that also will give you an edge.

If a famous alumni writes a glowing recommendation for you, that will also give you an edge.

Otherwise, no.  And "the edge" only means that a student who is near the bottom of the range for applicants, that might pull them up.