valeria asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

During Jim Crow laws were Spanish people discriminated against?

During Jim Crow laws were spanish people or people from Mexico discriminated against? I came across this picture of a sign that said Spanish people and Mexican people were not allowed to be served.

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

There werent many Latin Americans in the segregated states then, they are an extremely recent generation (1970s-). But yes if they didn’t look white enough they would be targeted. 

• Marli
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

"Jim Crow" segregation laws got that nickname because it was the title of a minstrel show song "Jumping Jim Crow". Crows are black, so the blackfaced dancer was called Jim Crow. Then it became shorthand reference to all black persons.

This exclusion of Spanish and Mexicans signs might not be stating a segregation law but the proprietor's or the community's intolerance of non-whites at that establishment.

It is the same sort of intolerance as "No Irish need apply" for jobs or rented rooms in old Boston or New York, or "No Dogs and Actors allowed" signs at boarding houses before movie making brought money to Hollywood. 

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

quadroons and mulattos....spanish society was a caste system. the left prefers latinx but almost everyone south of the border is a descendant of conquistadors.

• ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Oh, no. No, they weren't. Spanish people or people from Mexico were very welcome in America, then as now. White Americans just love those guys. They really do. That sign is simply referring to a stray dog (called "No Spanish or Mexicans") that was always trying to get into the place and they thought the sign would help in stopping him from entering

It did, if you're wondering. No Spanish or Mexicans was quite a law-abiding dog, really.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Yes, people of color in general were discriminated against. I do not know if Jim Crow laws were specifically for blacks or used against all minorities. I would imagine the American West more commonly had signs like this.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.