Can some one explain this physics to me?

I’m reading this and having hard time understanding it. I’m having hard time understanding the Heisenberg's uncertainty.

Quote The Heisenberg's uncertainty is saying if you are trying to measure something on quantum level the measurement process itself interferes with the object you are measuring and increasing the error in the measurement. Quote

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

In quantum mechanics, sub-atomic particles are associated with wave packets which describe the probability that they will interact with something else at each point.   Fourier analysis tells us that if a wave packet is small enough to give an accurate measurement of position, then you cannot get an accurate measurement of the frequency (or energy).

• 2 months ago

Your quote is not describing Heisenberg's "Uncertainty Principle," it's describing something called the "observer effect."

The Uncertainty Principle states that you can never know with absolute certainty both of a pair of variables (like position and momentum) for a given particle at the same time.  And the more certain you are about one, the less certain you have to be about the other.

Both the Uncertainty Principle and the Observer Effect are critical aspects of quantum mechanics, but both also apply to any area of physics.

• neb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I don’t know where you are getting the quote from, but it’s not correct. The uncertainty principle says that certain pairs of observables don’t simultaneously have precise values. It really doesn’t have anything to do with the measurement system, but it’s a fundamental property of the quantum system itself.

• 2 months ago

There are two problems.  If you detect something by bouncing an object from it then the object you bounce has a wave property.  Which makes its position uncertain.  If you give it more momentum to make the position of the bounced object more certain then it changes the velocity of the target.  So if you know WHERE the target is then its velocity is uncertain and if you know how fast the target is moving then you are uncertain about its exact position.  The product of the uncertainty of position and momentum is equal to a constant.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I think it's that if you try to measure the location of an electron, it will change to a different location. To measure location you need photons, but the photon will bounce off the electron and the electron will be in a diff. location, so ur measurement is not correct anymore.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.