Ferkin asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 2 months ago

Why do British TV channels rewrite history by having blacks in historical dramas like Vanity Fair?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Everything nowadays has to have that tick of political correctness and inclusiveness, reality went out the window.

You will find black characters, gay characters, Asian characters, women replacing male characters in any historical show now. 

Cant risk offending minorities.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The 'year of fear' - 2020. Covid-19 is starting to be ignored by many, with the same people moaning about the 'other sort' who won't 'do as they're told' - but finding it hard to get used to another kind of history; look how we cried at the death of John Lewis. We're fearful at the history of black Britain - especially from 210 AD - with black Romans who took part in building Hadrians Wall, and  from the 16th century onwards, there were plenty of the kind we now fear. Elizabeth I did, much to the amusement of one William Shakespeare.

I find it hilarious how terrified we are at the history which is now popping up - who knows I wonder if the London born footballer Manchester United are eager to snatch from Germany Jadon Sancho is related to the black writer, composer, shopkeeper - Charles Ignatius Sancho (1729-1780)?

This is not (by the way) 'Vanity Fair' - but real life...and perhaps the reason why such answers tend to be reported by the usual lot on here who don't like the truth - and would have packed beaches - with chavs and other groups of thugs, who indeed didn't 'do as they were told' and created front page terror stories for the usual tabloids.

• 2 months ago

There were blacks in British society at that time. Most were servants, however, some did make it upwards.

A number served in the RN aboard HMS Victory at Battle of Trafalgar. And one even became an MP.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is to be inclusive, rather than accurate.

It seems it is more important to show diversity than to recreate an event as the writer intended or what the real history Was.

There were very very small numbers of non white people in the UK pre ‘windrush’, regardless of what some are eager to claim.

It is not white fear, it is stupidity. And dishonest.

What next?

Zulu remake with black welsh men and white Zulu’s?

It is not history as the ‘I’m not black (really)’ zealot pretends as he trawls the web looking for black men of note in Europe, and finding few. 

Chips on shoulders mean quotas must be net or outcry is guaranteed. Look at midsummer .....posh villages now deep in well y’know what I mean ‘arry?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have NEVER read the book have you? If you had then you would see there was a black person in it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Obviously never read the Thackeray novel which has a black character in it - ie Sam, the footman. Ignorance and racism tend go hand-in-hand.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That's the BBC for you. Don't pay the licence fee to watch that rubbish,  I don't.  Watch ITV channels on catchup instead. 

• Buzz
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I find that strange too. We can’t re write history as a modern liberal society. It was what it was and shouldn’t be portrayed as anything different. 

• Zapata
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Sigh. Really? The big clue is in the word "drama". 

Thackeray's Vanity Fair is a work of fiction. It's not based on actual historical events. It doesn't matter in the slightest what colour an actor is in a work of fiction. And you do, I hope, realize that there were black people in England in the early 19th century, which is when the book is set?

Back in Shakespeare's time, all female roles in the theatre were almost always played by men who dressed up as women. Was that also "re-writing history"?

• 2 months ago

The white culture is being bullied and threatened by cultures of color.  They threaten with law suits, with boycotts and protests, and with extortion.  So you Brits get Vanity Fair and we get Hamilton.  Both have been appropriated by blacks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.