Ray asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Are the quiet ones usually the most intelligent ones versus the ones that talk loudly?

I'm talking about the introverts that don't speak in social settings but end up making the most money. Makes me wonder whether intelligence is directly linked to quietness. 

And then we have the rowdy ones that steal the social scenes and are often times charismatic. 

I don't believe that a personality type will determine someone will become successful. It has to do with being resilient, prudent, assertive, and confident.

Successful people are the ones who have personal goals and learn from their own mistakes and failure. They are resilient and move on to the next task or project. 

In MY opinion I think abrasive loud speaking people are very insecure. They need acceptance of their opinions & if someone disagrees with them they over speak loudly without listening to the other persons opinion. Of course there are certainly some exceptions to the rule because some ethnic groups are loud in ANY situation & some are intellectual & some are not weather they have loud or quiet personalities  Generally I think quiet folks are good listeners & are evaluating a certain situation before voicing their opinion in a reasonable manner. Like some one said the squeaking door gets the oil. The louder a person gets a quiet person uses intelligence to remove themselves from an unreasonable & unsolvable situation without confrontation by letting the other scream on.

Are you an introvert or an extrovert? That’s a tricky question, and I have a hard time answering it myself.

That’s the problem of binary questions , you are forced to choose one or the other. Being quiet is a choice ,  you can be more outspoken in specific scenarios or more withdrawn in others. Who you are cannot be limited to one label, especially when those labels are loaded terms. Our society favors action versus contemplation,  extroverts have a more positive buzz. Quiet people have a unique power  everyone, them included, needs to pay more attention to it. 

A Culture That Worships Loud People

Our society has a long tradition of trying to define what’s normal ,  maybe because we have a hard time accepting that we’re all unique. People still believe that being an introvert is not normal ,  those who act and speak louder are favored. 

I remember growing-up, classmates would say, “Why don’t you talk more?” I felt something was wrong with me. I enjoyed listening to others, observing the world, and cultivating my inner-self. Quiet people have things to say, too, and, most of the time, they provide more clarity and depth. Quiet people have a strong voice. 

Introverts Are Active When They’re Quiet.

Introverts have a lot to say but also value the power of being quiet. Silence is not the absence of words, but the presence of focus. The only thing introverts hate more than talking about themselves is repeating themselves.

Purposeful Silence Is A Beautiful Thing.

Being quiet is a choice, not a permanent status. Mental noise can destroy our minds. Silence is an endangered species that we need to take care of. Noise is both a distraction and escapism. Silence is more than the absence of sound , it allows for the presence of everything else. Silence gives you the freedom to be yourself. It’s a beautiful choice that can reap many benefits.

1. You Listen More To Others. Listening is an essential part of any conversation. We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak. 

2. You Avoid Getting Involved In ill Conversations. The need to speak is an easy trap , we all become victims of our desire to add to the discussion. Gossiping, criticizing, and expressing opinions about what we don’t know are clear examples of doing unnecessary talking.

3. You Pause And Observe Life. Talking too much keeps our brain busy. As the Japanese proverb says: “To fill a cup of tea, you have to empty it first.” When you stop talking, you start paying attention to the world around you.

4. You Learn From Others. Rather than jumping to quick conclusions, you can listen to different voices. Not only do you learn from others, but it also helps you walk in their shoes. Understanding diverse perspectives is critical to avoid being judgmental.

5. You Can Spend More Time Getting To Know Yourself. Silence allows your inner voice to speak up and get familiarized with your inner-self. To know yourself is to accept yourself. However, too much self-examination can kill you.

Permanent silence is not always right either, life is a balancing act. 

Quiet People Need More Safe Time

The fear of being ignored, criticized, or attacked by others prevents people from sharing their sincere thoughts. Psychological Safety can make or break a team. People want to feel safe to express their opinions without the fear of being judged by others.

Social Sensitivity:

Any group , socially or at work  should get better at reading non-verbal cues. Not every silence is the same. Understanding the nuances can help you adjust your behavior. Introverted leaders deliver better outcomes than extroverts do; they’re much more likely to let those people run with their ideas. On the other hand, extroverts can get so excited that they put their own stamp on things, overshadowing other people’s opinions. Accept quiet people as they are. If you lean towards being an extrovert, don’t expect others to behave as you do.

It’s more difficult for women to earn recognition for making a valuable contribution than it is for men. The same happens with quiet people. Make space for everyone to have their turn to share their thoughts and opinions , everyone should agree to abide by the one-voice-at-a-time practice.

You don’t need to be loud to be smart. Silence adds rhythm and intentionality to your life. When you stop, everything else becomes visible. Encourage those around you to experience how it feels to be quiet but, most importantly, to benefit from silence. Try not speaking for a couple of hours. If you tend to be the first to give an opinion, force yourself to be the last. Not just to hold your horses, but to actively listen to others. Pay attention. Most of the time, silence means that your ideas add nothing to what has already been said. And that’s okay.

The introvert versus extrovert thing is doing no one a favor. Choosing sides is never a good thing. Avoid the labels by creating collaboration opportunities. We need both quiet and noise. Organizations of all types must embrace and promote collaboration between the quiet and the loud. Stop extroverts rules from bullying introverts because they choose silence. Create a culture of belonging where everyone feels welcome for who they are without having to please other people’s expectations.

Usually quieter people are thinkers, they are often actually quite content to sit back and listen to the loud 'me, me, me' type of people.  We need a combination of both 'talkers & thinkers' and some of us can be a combination of both, depending on how we feel in each situation.

Intelligent  has nothing to do with the person being quiet or talk loud. Both types of persons can be intelligent or not intelligent.

Extroverted individuals tend to be more successful than introverts, so no.

Both extroverts and introverts can be intelligent.  Think of all the extroverted high IQ individuals like Neil de Grasse Tyson or Ken Jeong (who is a physician) and introverted ones like Albert Einstein or Steven Spielburg.

A nonsense stereotype. You should see a Mensa social weekend. No one is quiet (or sober) but everyone has an IQ in the top 2% of the population. 

Looks like people who have lots of money become introvert and boring later. In this world you cannot really differentiate people like that. For example i am an introvert . I m fired from so many jobs bcoz i am not smart but still i am intelligent. The rowdy ones are earning more and have better jobs and that too with a malafide intention.

It really doesn't make any difference.

Some quiet ones are smart,others not so smart.

I think that is an easy generalization to make about us (me) quiet people... a positive one... but not always an accurate. one.

I, for one, am 38 and have never had a girlfriend... stuck at the same dead-end job... drive a '96 Toyota sedan... no friends... lots of debt although not as bad as before... living check-to-check.

I mean I do credit myself as having an intellect - perhaps far above and beyond everyone else - but not the type that has translated into figuring this place out and politicking and climbing the corporate ladder...

I see it as more abstract like... I notice stuff about this world that I don't think the average person notices... and I can't pretend to not know they're there... and so I just sorta gave up with humanbeings and am just living out my days.