Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

I'm being reimbursed for my legal fees as part of a settlement: OK to get the lawyer to bill me a large amount?

I got screwed over by a business associate.  Big-time screwed. He lied and cheated me out of a lot of money and threatened to sue me.

I wanted to mediate, and he kept threatening to sue (to get me to back off of trying to collect the debt that he owed me).  

Now we're settling.  He will be repaying the debt that he owes me plus all legal fees that I incurred because of him.

My legal fees so far are, say, $7,500.

OK to tell my great lawyer to bill me a fixed amount, say $15,000?  The cheater will be paying it.

Favorite Answer

thats up to you

Are you serious?  You must be a complete idiot!  You are asking your lawyer to commit fraud and risk his law license and livelihood.  For you!!!  When you are getting your legal fees paid.  You decided to settle for less and not get a judgment against him for the full amount plus costs - that's YOUR choice.  Sure, it would take more time and he cheated you in the first place, but you made the choice to settle.  At some point, you have to let go of your anger.  Your lawyer will be satisfied with his fees paid.  And the jerk will pay the settlement amount.  If you want revenge, getting more money from him - dragging someone else into your mess is not the way to do it, especially a lawyer who would lose everything he has worked for - many years of expensive law school, and he likely has a mortgage to pay and a family to feed.  NO!!!  It is NOT okay.  It's the most selfish and stupid suggestion EVER!!!  He could also turn you in for attempted fraud.  Don't be stupid.  Walk away with money, not a felony and a 20 year prison sentence, and knowing you destroyed your lawyer's life.  He would not likely be agreeable to it anyway.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal for 25+ years.
  • xyzzy

First what difference would it make to you? If the lawyer bills you $15000 dollars he get the money not you. Beside no good lawyer would take part in such a scam. If it is discovered he could be disbarred.

So settle for more money.  No attorney is going to participate in the scam.

If this scam is discovered the agreement will be null.

• A.J.

It voids the settlement. It's the actual legal fees. If falsified, they can tear up the settlement. Very stupid move.

No, you better not try to do that. It's illegal, no lawyer would agree to it (she could lose her law license), and the associate has a right to contest the fees in court.

• Judith

Doing so would make you as bad as your past business associate.  Seems he wasn't the only person without ethics in your partnership.   You seem to have deserved each other.