If I moved from the USA to Canada, what are the top 5 things that’d be very different to me personally or financially?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Wow, you got some really vague answers, some really stupid answers, and some answers that managed to be both.  I'm Canadian, been to the USA more times than I can count, so here are 5 things you'll notice right away...

GUNS:  They're legal here, but heavily restricted.  And you can't carry them around in public for any reason.  You can own as many guns as you want, but you'll have to fill out lots of paperwork and clip capacities are strictly limited by law.

METRIC SYSTEM:  We use that here, kind of.  Distances and speeds are always in kilometers, not miles.  But we measure our height and weight in 'Murican for whatever reason.

TWO OFFICIAL LANGUAGES: Even though under 25% of Canadians speak French, everything sold in Canada has to include both languages on the packaging.  For over 75% of the country, it's a minor yet constant annoyance.

POLITICS:  We're really boring with that stuff up here.  Our politicians do regularly lie to us and spend our money on stupid things, so you won't be surprised there.  But they do it really quietly compared to US politicians.  Our prime minister doesn't have legions of adoring fans, nor does he have legions of people denying his legitimacy.  They don't even set off pyro at political rallies here, and the parties don't have interesting names.

TAXES:  Most Yanks are smacked to the floor by the level of taxation in Canada.  Literally half your paycheque is taken away in taxes before you even see it, and there are sales taxes on just about everything.  The sin-taxes here are also incredible, so be prepared to pay a god dammed fortune when you buy alcohol, smokes or fuel.

• 1 month ago

All I can say is you'll be tracked down in Canada even if you do get out on bail, Mr. Bannon. Using the name "Mike" won't help you.

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Possibly tops is the racial diversity in Canada.

• 2 months ago

No, or very low cost (depending on the province you move to) medical insurance.

No-one cares about your political views.  We are not divided like the USA is.

MUCH lower racism.  No-one cares what race you are, officially at least.

Two official languages - knowing both well is needed for  most Federal government jobs.

A much stronger middle class.  Few are very rich, or very poor compared to the USA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Without knowing your personal and financial situations, how could we know?

The only things I could say will be true for almost everyone is that your health care will cost less out of your pocket, and you are less likely to die as a result of violence in Canada, but even those depend on your own situation to some extent.

• S
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

more diverse cultures, metric system, more taxes, colder winters, universal medicare

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.