Allergic to my glasses frames 😐 think I could paint them with any sort of clear finish/sealer to keep my hypersensitive self from reacting?

Who the hell knew that this is actually a thing?! My eyes and ears become very irritated when I wear my glasses or any sunglasses/blue light shades. I don’t know what specifically causes these reactions, but some people are allergic to certain materials and chemicals in the plastic frames.

This may be a really stupid question..,but I know people with horrible pet dander allergies are sometimes advised to paint their walls every year to help reduce the dander....so maybe if I paint my frames with some sort of sealer, it could help? 

😂  I have NO idea if that would work to seal away the chemicals or **** like VOCs coming off the plastic? 🙈

...but would sealers and finishes contain harsh chemicals too? 

I would just buy new hypoallergenic frames, but this pandemic broke my bank account. 

Looking for a cheap DIY alternative if it can be done! 

• Edna

Why don't you just get contact lenses, and get rid of the eyeglasses and the frames?

I've found that clear nail varnish does the trick. You can find out if you're allergic to the varnish by applying some to the gauze on a small plaster/band-aid, allowing it to dry and then stick behind your ear for 24 hours.

• Bort

It's more likely you have a skin condition, not that you're allergic to plastic. There are too many things that are plastic that if you were allergic to it you would surely be having an allergic reaction on your body somewhere almost constantly. If your skin is very sensitive or weak it's not going to matter what your glasses are made of or if you do something to them or not. I suggest your options are either try wearing contacts to avoid having glasses resting on your nose and ears and other areas or try selecting the lightest weight of frames possible. 

Glasses have weight. They also move a lot more often than someone might think. They rarely ever stay exactly where they're placed. When you move your head to look at something the glasses aren't attached they're resting so they have some wiggle even from that gentle, and slight, movement - therefore they rub against your skin. 

It's more likely that's what's happening, they're rubbing, than you're allergic to plastic. 

Yes. Sealers and finishes like clear coat and polyurethane are harsh chemicals. A person is more likely to have a reaction to those than they are to actually be allergic to plastics. Besides, things like clear coat and polyurethane ARE a plastic or a latex. There are allergy cases to latex. So they're not going to help. 

Call your eye doctor first (or have your parents call them if you're a kid) and explain what's going on. That's a good place to start.

😄

I would use tape instead. Try electrical. Less irritation.

Paint is not good for your skin.

• Rick

worth a shot; try clear nail polish ...........................