Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Ordered floral centerpiece at restaurant. Who gets to keep it?

I am having a lunch for myself and 2 work friends at an upscale restaurant and ordered a small floral arrangement centerpiece for the table, just to add a nice touch to our lunch. But what do I do with it after we leave? Do I take it? Ask one of my work friends if they would like it? Give it to the hostess that kindly arranged the delivery of the floral order? Or just walk out and leave it? Lol I need advice please!!

**I am the one that set up the lunch and ordered/paid the the floral arrangement. The hostess of the restaurant helped organize the delivery.

• Daisy

Since you ordered the centerpiece and paid for it, it's yours to do with as you wish.

You may offer it to one of your dining companions-- maybe one has a birthday or anniversary coming up?  If they decline, then, take it home with you.

If your companions don't want it and you don't want to take it home, you may ask the host/hostess at the restaurant to give it someone who is celebrating something.  That would be a nice surprise.   

Take it with you if you choose a friend the other may be put off by your selection But to be fair you could ask them.

• Chanel

I would ask my friends if they wanted to take it and if not you could leave it for the staff.

• denise

Well, you've paid for it, so I suppose you 'could' take it if you wanted,  If  the restaurant does a nice meal with good service e.t.c. you may decide to gift the arrangement to the restaurant, for the bar or reception maybe?

its yours, you could do whatever you want with it

• drip

You take it with you. It isn’t for anyone in particular. And you are not celebrating anything. 

Either bring it home with you or offer it to the host. 

You would not leave it on the table

You bought it, you choose.  I think it depends on what you are doing after lunch.  Normally I would immediately suggest you take it with you to enjoy longer than lunch.  But if you aren't going home, leaving the flowers in a hot car will just kill them quickly.  So you may want to give them away to one of your guests.  If you opt to leave it behind, I think you should try to give it directly to the  management/owner of the restaurant (doing so will make you remembered when you eventually return), as they may have a better purpose for it.  Good Luck.

Given you paid for the floral arrangement, theoretically they go to you.  However, if you do not wish to keep them, you then decide whether you want to give them to one of your dining companions or leave them with the restaurant.  There is no one golden rule here.

Split it up between the 3 of you or give it to charity.

The HOUSE, unless you specifically bought it.