Why do some Americans consider J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings to be failed literature?

• Tina
    Favorite Answer

What is 'failed literature' - a piece of writing which, in the opinion of 'some Amercans' fails to be literature? but what is their definition of literature? and why should we care?

And do 'some Americans' hold this opinion of Tolkien's work? and how do we know they've actually read it, and not just seen the middle film version of 'Lord of the Rings' on late night television, and decided they didn't like it?

We do know that some Marxist critics (on the whole, English) hated 'Lord of the Rings' because it seemed to be supporting soppy things like respecting the earth, and the trees and the green countryside instead of the manly, Orcish industrialisation and de-forestation that they thought was the future - well the future has caught up with that lot.

Fortunately '"The Lord of the Rings" will still be read when those Americans (who are they, by the way? - stand up and identify yourselves) are no more.

what's american have to do with it??

The Lord of the Rings will be around a lot longer than "some Americans.

It is a brilliant work of literature, in which a battle between the forces of good and evil is played out 

Not for those who have abdicated their God-given sense of discernment of right and wrong, good and evil for a failed ideology.

Because they are Americans. It was never intended to be 'great literature' but something of an experiment by an academic with an interest in mythology. I would guess most who make that kind of pronouncement have never actually read it.

• Lili

While it's very popular (I enjoy it myself), LOTR is not a great work of literature,  The prose is often problematic, even turgid, and the story as a whole is a pastiche of motifs and themes borrowed from much earlier literature, often the medieval poems and sagas that Tolkien studied as a scholar.

The truly original aspect involves the hobbits and the Shire, which are genuinely fresh and creatively interesting, if somewhat over-influenced by traditional class relationships and understandings of the countryside in Tolkien's England.  But overall, while lots of fun, LOTR does not have a place in the pantheon of great world literature.

I'm an American. My opinion is not specific to Americans. I know British and people of other nationalities who hold it. I don't think, by the way, that Tolkien was expecting LOTR to be considered a work of great literature. That's not why he wrote it. So, it cannot be said to have "failed".

A bit vague. Perhaps you are a failed reader who, upon being called a failed reader, merely projected your own failure onto the brilliant writer and made up this lie about those purported Americans. Seems more plausible.

cite please..........................

Do they? Source, please? And do they say what they mean by "failed literature"?

• Andrew

How would any of us know the answer to that question? And what exactly is "failed literature"? I'm not familiar with the expression and it doesn't make sense. Lastly, why would Americans disliking something be any different from people from other countries disliking it? 

Do they? Do you have a source to support that?  Some people may not like that type of story telling and its genera.