Hiam asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Hi! So my dog used to LOVE me the most, and suddenly he seems to be interested in my siblings and parents more.?

I first got my dog, around a month ago, and each time I came home from something I had to do.  He would jump in the air, and start wagging his tail! And when I came over to greet him he jumped on me!  Now, he ignores me and is only excited to see my siblings and my parents.  I don't recall doing something wrong, that could have deeply traumatized him, or make him keep his distance.  He still follows me around here and there, but way less than when I first got him.  He now doesn't like sitting with me as much as my siblings, and he usually picks my siblings over me, without hesitation.  I don't understand how he went from loving me the most to not liking me at all.  If you guys have any tips or actual answers, I would love to hear them! :)

• Jojo

Unfortunately you do not say how OLD the dog is and where you got him from and what breed he is.

Most dogs gravitate towards the most authoritative human of a family household and tend to ignore more the ones they regard as less important or submissive.

I know nothing about YOU at all, or if you train or walk the dog etc, so its impossible to give you any positive advice.

If your dog lives in a human family environment then you are all members of its `pack` and he will treat you all individually as he sees is appropriate to rank.

BY the way, dogs do not `love` as in the human way, they `respect` and look up to a strong leader type person.

Its not to say he does not like you, only that you are uninteresting and lack leadership qualities. 

He's the family dog.  If you are underage - which you appear to be - you cannot own a dog.

Maybe he finds your siblings more fun.  I don't know.  I do not allow my dog to jump on people.

My husband and I have two dogs.  One gravitated to him and is his dog.  The other is "my dog."  Dogs pick their people.  They both respond to both of us, but each one of us clearly has a dog.

He doesn't know that he is strictly your dog.  He is the family dog now.

Family dog = he will rotate around the FAMILY which is good because it should mean that if you go out/away for a time, the dog won't be miserable.   He will get on with life within your family, as it presents itself.

Having a family dog isn't a competition - and for sure, he doesn't know that he's YOUR dog - which to all intents and purposes, he isn't.

Dogs do NOT "love you the most"...  Dogs are PACK animals.  They form individual bonds with each household member.

Youve had the dog a MONTH..  Hes still learning his place within the household.

And dogs generally show a preference for the person they determine to be the pack leader..   Which obviously is NOT you.

Sounds like they are home MORE, and pay more attention TO him.  I "emotionally lost a dog" who had seemed to be more bonded to me and I had picked out, until I started walking him INSTEAD of my partner.  

You best hope is to become FUN again and do more active things with your dog like taking him for walks (and this including actively doing or practicing training).  Make sure the dog has some fun play whether you do; nose work, lure coursing, tracking, agility of a sort (in your yard) or see if any outdoor classes are an option.  Very few dogs enjoy being a "rug on the floor" - ignored most of the time, aside from feeding.